Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ghostie
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Is my Homehub 3 faulty?

Go to solution

I have recently purchased two iPad mini's for family members, however I cannot keep sustained connection on the iPads whilst using data intensive intensive applications for example  streaming on lovefilm instant's application (when I run speed tests I am getting around 30mb download, and 16mb upload). However all other devices seem to work perfectly with the homehub and have done since my installation of infinity two in september. Despite this the reason I am questioning the status of my homehub is because about three days (22nd Dec 2012) before using the iPads on the Wifi for the first time the internet seemed to slow and it often took a long time to open pages and often needed page refreshes (could this be because down to the busy christmas period?), now though (26th Dec 2012) it seems to have cleared up but could there be an underlying issue with my homehub or connection, or is it just two faulty iPads?.

Kind Regards,

Sean Gomes

I am also willing to post diagnostic information and router settings if it would aid this process it is just I am not sure what information is needed- if asked for I will provide it.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Is my Homehub 3 faulty?

Go to solution
you are most likely overloading the Home Hub 3's wireless with intensive streaming
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
you are most likely overloading the Home Hub 3's wireless with intensive streaming

Sorry, but it should take more than two ipads streaming lovefilm to do that. lol

0 Ratings
Ghostie
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

What would you classify as intensive streaming bandwidth wise, also what are the the Homehub's limits on being overloaded, basically what can it cope with? Sorry for the wording it's just I have never encountered this with any previous routers.

Edit: There are other devices connected at the same time but they are just idle- connected not doing any streaming etc. These devices are: HTC One (Phone), Google Nexus 7 (Tablet), 2x Blackberry (Phones) and an iMac. Could just the presence of these devices be "overloading" the wireless?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

At a guess, I would say the ipads have poor signal. 

Just try moving the ipad into the room of the wireless and see if it improves, if not the problem is somewhere else.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Ghostie
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Used the iPads point blank (about 2m) from the router with no obstructions in the way and the signal still continued to drop. Even when I am in my bedroom using on of the iPads I am still no further than 6m away although there is one thin door in the way.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution
Ratty 2012
There are many similar posts about this subject across these forums and the many wireless problems the HH3 suffers from
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

I've just tried it on my setup and it worked fine using 4 ipads.

You may need to change the wireless channel on the homehub

0 Ratings
Ghostie
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
All non interfering channels are taken (1,6,11), so what should I try changing to? Also I thought the home hub would change its channel if it detected interference due to its "smart channels" or whatever it's called.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution
smart wireless only works i channels 1/6/11 turn smart wireless off and download inssider and use the programme to select a clear channel
0 Ratings