cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Is my SNR okay and correct?

Is my SNR margin correct as I’ve had a few dropouts this evening and yesterday had another which caused the SNR on the right to drop lower than the one on the left, normally they’re both nearly the same with the left being a little bit higher I.E 6.4/6.9. I’ve only started getting dropouts since going over to fibre 2 from fibre 1

90F3A4F3-C427-468D-AB8D-30ED56AA94CB.jpeg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is my SNR okay and correct?

Stats look ok. Connection time only 15min.  Is that due to hub dropping connection or manual reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Dropout, had to turn off electric earlier but the hub is showing over 7 hours. The other day it showed 5 days and then reset connection time and hub 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Your SNRM is fine.

The default target is 6dB but it can be set to 5, 4 or 3dB to increase speeds more.

It can be higher than 6dB for lines that reach the maximum speed, giving a line "spare" SNRM.

The DLM that sets the SNRM is completely automated and can't be manually adjusted.

The SNRM is designed to fluctuate as noise (interference) comes and goes.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

So is there no way to increase the SNR to say 7/8 8/9 as I was on fibre 1 to begin with on a 55/10 circuit and the SNR was obviously different but higher than what it is now and was going strong for over 25 days without a single dropout. I change over to fibre 2 which lowers my SNR (expectedly) and I’m getting dropouts, this happened before so had to get it sorted via Openreach and the issue was the port in the green box being loose so that was rectified and my BB was perfect. Now with the lower SNR it’s dropping out again 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Can you try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

when on fibre 1 your connection speed was restricted to 55mb but your attainable would have been 75/78mb which would give you a noise margin higher than normal 6db and that was fine

your connection speed is now just below attainable and gives the normal noise margin of about 6db. Should DLM activate G.INP on your line then conenction speed will get a boost and noise margin would drop to 3db which is normal for G.INP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

The DLM is totally automated. The SNRM can't be manually changed on fibre.

If the DLM thinks the line is dropping too often it can cap the sync speed which will increase the SNRM.

You may need an engineer to look in to why the line is dropping.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I’ve just this second done a noise test and all was quiet, as for the 55/10 the max I was able to get was 51/52mbps download with a stay fast guarantee of 46mbps I wasn’t getting the fibre 2 speeds as I was on the new customer package which is maximum 50mbps down and 10mbps up. That package was great and never had dropouts but obviously had higher SNR which could of been the reason for it being okay, also the Openreach engineer doing he’s job helped too (7 openreach engineers later) and it was a loose port at the green box. If needs be I’ll go back down to my old package as I’m still within the 14 day cooling period with BT 

0 Ratings