cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Is my broadband fibre 2 speed artificially capped or banded

Go to solution

Hi

I have been on fibre 2 for a few months (returning customer) and whilst the speed I get is good (54.999Mbps DL and 9.997Mbps UL) however it is much lower than I had with BT 18 months ago when I was on the same package, same line but much older BT home hub router

I rang BT customer support who said as this is above your minimum bit rate guarantee then there is nothing that can be done (fair enough he had a script to read) and that the speed you have is the maximum fibre 2 can provide (umm not so true), I also spoke to the technical person who just confirmed that BT makes a decision on how many users are connected to an exchange and then allocate the throughput accordingly and that decision cannot be changed and that in his opinion was my speed is not limited - also he told me that my previous attainable speed was irrelevant as that was in the past - so no joy there

My smart hub2 router is connected to my master socket, I performed a clean line test and it is completely silent - I live in a village and luckily I can see my local exchange from my house so thought I would be closer to the 67Mbps/20Mbps but maybe there is now a connection issue between the exchange and my house that I am unaware of?

Tomlaw_0-1638540641559.png

Here are my line stats and also router log (11 days since last power cut 🙂 storm season)

Tomlaw_2-1638541832754.png

Does anyone have a view that could help solve my mystery? 

@DavidM I saw a similar post where you had a view maybe you could help? Has my line been artificially banded incorrectly? Or is this the best it can get? maybe the noise stats wont support anything better?

Much appreciated

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Is my broadband fibre 2 speed artificially capped or banded

Go to solution

I don't think you are in banded profile more like you have possibly made a change or renewed tur broadband package and somehow you have been moved to fibre 1 55/10 mb connection.  can you check MYBT and make sure your package still shows as fibre 2.  if it does then post back as you probably need mod help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Tomlaw welcome to the community and thanks for posting your router stats. I'm sorry to see you're not getting the most from your broadband connection.

At a glance, it looks like you've been incorrectly put on a 55/10 profile but I would need to do more checks to ascertain what is going on. I'll send you a private message so you can send over your details and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Neil

Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@Tomlaw wrote:

I also spoke to the technical person who just confirmed that BT makes a decision on how many users are connected to an exchange and then allocate the throughput accordingly and that decision cannot be changed and that in his opinion was my speed is not limited - also he told me that my previous attainable speed was irrelevant as that was in the past - so no joy there

The 'technical' person was talking total nonsense.

My smart hub2 router is connected to my master socket, I performed a clean line test and it is completely silent - I live in a village and luckily I can see my local exchange from my house so thought I would be closer to the 67Mbps/20Mbps but maybe there is now a connection issue between the exchange and my house that I am unaware of?

The location of the exchange is totally irrelevant as your broadband is delivered from the cabinet not the exchange.

Here are my line stats and also router log (11 days since last power cut 🙂 storm season)

Does anyone have a view that could help solve my mystery? 

@DavidM I saw a similar post where you had a view maybe you could help? Has my line been artificially banded incorrectly? Or is this the best it can get? maybe the noise stats wont support anything better?

Much appreciated

Your line appears to be configured as Fibre1 rather than Fibre2.

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks licquorice

"The 'technical' person was talking total nonsense."  It was one of those call centre conversations that was quickly going nowhere other than me crying in frustration and I guessed he also had a script 🤥  I was originally  told it was due to some kind of a security issue that the speed was as it was which really was nonsense . Also the first guy didn't want me to talk to anyone else so I imagined he just got a friend in the call centre to just pretend 😁 or am I too cynical 

The location of the exchange is totally irrelevant as your broadband is delivered from the cabinet not the exchange. That's interesting I hadn't realised , but the cabinet is  just on the roadside outside the exchange so only a few extra meters  further away 

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
thanks - details sent
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Tomlaw_0-1638547347991.png

Hi imjolly - defo fibre 2 for payment if not for speed

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Mods are helping you so they will get it corrected just take a few days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Tomlaw,

Thank you for taking my call today. I've raised this with our supplier and I should have an update for you on Tuesdays.

I'll post back to let you know. If you need anything in the meantime, please feel free to drop me a Private Message.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Tomlaw,

I gave your mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry I wasn't able to speak to you today.

I've checked and it looks like the speeds have increased at the moment I can see the connection speed is around 68 Mbps. 

How are things at your end, have you noticed an improvement?

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings