cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tedcarey
Message 1 of 10

Is my infinity modem broken

Okay, there's an outage in my area at the moment Which started on 10/03/14 and is due to be fixed by the 13th (tomorrow). Since then obviously I have no internet but the white box which I assume is the modem has now power what so ever, I've changed the sockets, reset it and got nothing.

I've talked to them online (twice) and asked if this is normal and they've either said completely avoided the question or told me to wait until the outage is fixed. I've also phoned them twice and got the same thing.

All I want to know is, will it work when the outage is over? I don't want to have to wait another week for a new modem.

Not sure I made myself clear there but any help would be appreciated.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Is my infinity modem broken

Did the modem problem coincide with the "outage" in your area or did it start after that.

Have you checked to see if your neighbours are having and "outage" and also checked on the status page.

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status/?s_cid=btb_FURL_servicestatus

0 Ratings
Tedcarey
Message 3 of 10

Yes, it was working fine until sometime between 8 and 9pm on the tenth when I we lost connection and no power since. The hub has power still if that helps. I haven't asked the neighbours yet as the outage isn't due to be fixed until tomorrow.
0 Ratings
Tedcarey
Message 4 of 10

Between 8-9pm was when the outage occurred I was told
0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

A network fault would only cause you to lose sync on the dsl modem.

Do you have an ECI modem by any chance?

Those things a plagued with power issues.

You will need an engineer to replace it, ask him if he can fit a Huwaei one though, far superior.

Or maybe blag a HH5 from BT. But even they are useless, that's why I've gone back to my HH4 and a Huwaei modem.
0 Ratings
Tedcarey
Message 6 of 10

It drops connection quite a lot but I always blamed the home hub (2) for that, as far as I'm aware I've never had any power issues with it. My modem says it's Huwaei, model: EchoLife HG612. Guess I'll have to wait until the outage is over and they no longer have that as an excuse not to talk to me. Thanks for the help, you've been much more help then anybody I've spoken to at BT.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

I would contact BT now and report the modem as a faulty. This is over and above any "outage" that they claim.  The reason I asked you to check the status page and neighbours is that it has been known for Call Centre staff to blame an network problem when in fact there isn't one.

Barry57
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Another option could be to get a replacement one ?  (Loads on that well know auction site).

Which would be quicker than waiting for Openreach to turn up or  its not worth the time/stress of waiting around , time of work ect 

0 Ratings
Tedcarey
Message 9 of 10

I phoned them again and they tried the same thing by saying they can't do anything until the outage is fixed, after arguing for a while she said she can't book an engineer with the problems ongoing but she would try. Couldn't do it but said she'll phone back tomorrow and do it then.
0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

'Another option could be to get a replacement one ?  (Loads on that well know auction site).'

Why should he have too, the DSL Modem, like the NTE is the responsibility of Openreach. If it breaks they need to come and replace it.

0 Ratings