Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Is my speed all it will ever be?

Hi all,

Im just curious if my speed will EVER get any faster.  It's effectively been sat at a data rate of 3.20/19.99 Mbps since i moved to FTTC (almost a year now), but it never returns anything faster than 17.9Mb using the BT speed test/speedtest.net etc.  Noise Margins are in and around the 6 zone and the line test using a corded phone is quiet (tested before posting today hence why the connected time is short in the images).  On the BTW test, the IP profile for d/l is 18.4 and never moves.  Funnily enough this used to be the VDSL  Impacted range value on the ADSL checker which now says 25 (something stuck?)

Just looking for some expert overall healthcheck based on the above and the pics below.  thanks....

BTW.jpgADSL.jpgcheck.jpg

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Is my speed all it will ever be?

The speed tester result will always be lower than the sync speed because of protocol overheads.

There is not much scope for extra speed on your line, you are on an Huawei cabinet so 3dB noise margin could give you a slight increase but it looks as though your line could have been banded at 20Mbs  Even with 3dB noise margin you would probably only be looking at 24-25 Mbs at most.

0 Ratings
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Any way to get the banding removed? (if it exists)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Has the data rate always been exactly 19.99Mbs or does it vary to more random figures?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Your DSL uptime is only 5hrs, is that due to a manual disconnection or hub restart?

0 Ratings
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

I may have seen a 20.00 once but can't recall.  On the whole it's always 19.99

0 Ratings
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

@licquoricewrote:

Your DSL uptime is only 5hrs, is that due to a manual disconnection or hub restart?

DSL uptime is only 5hrs as i wanted to perform all tests before reaching out.  i performed a quiet line test, hence the low uptime.   On boot up, data rate still at 19.99

was connected for ages prior to that (i.e. beyond the 14 days of a hub 6)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

@alan_mc wrote:

I may have seen a 20.00 once but can't recall.  On the whole it's always 19.99

19.99/20.00 would indicate that the line is probably banded.

I'll ask if the mods can take a look at your line

alan_mc
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

great, appreciated !!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Hi @alan_mc

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

From having a look at the stats you've posted, it's unlikely that you'll get a speed faster than what you're currently getting to be honest.  This is backed up from the fact you've got this speed since the service was connected.

If we could see that the service isn't performing as it should we would have no hesitation picking this up however the speed is performing within your estimate and there isn't a fault condition.

If the speed drops outside your estimate then feel free to post back and we'll look at it for you.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings