cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Is new BT Smart Hub Causing My Drop Outs?

Go to solution

I imagine the problem may have been there a while but we’ve had so little rain over the last few months you’d never had known about it. Good to hear you’ve got it sorted.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

I rejoiced too soon! At precisely 8pm yesterday (4 hours after the engineer had apparently fixed the problem) my broadband disconnected for about 15 seconds while I was browsing the web. Later when I made a phone call it disconnected again - a repeat of the old problem. My download speed was reduced from 42.3 to 24.4 Mbps. This morning’s stats are:

Data rate : 6.30 / 26.31 Mbps

Max data rate : 6329 / 2610

Noise margin: 6 db / 5.9db

Did quiet line test and it was crackling yet again just like it was before the engineer fixed it yesterday.

So what should I do now? Report the problem as noisy landline again on 0800 800 151 and not mention broadband?

Wasn't sure if I should have started a new post topic for this or continue my original post.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Carry on with thread.

You will have to report the noisy line again I'm afraid, either the engineer didn't fix it properly or more likely, there are multiple faults on your line.

Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

When I called 0800 800 151 this morning I was offered a new way to report the fault - by text message! The procedure was to send a text “fault” + my landline phone number to 61988. I’ve attached snips of the conversation which lasted about 18 minutes. They have booked an engineer to come tomorrow morning. When I visited my BT account to track the fault it said that the reported problem was “Broadband - Slow Connection” even though in the text conversation I was not given an opportunity to specify the nature of the fault. The “bot” has automatically diagnosed the problem. Does this matter now that somebody is coming? Are Openreach broadband engineers different from BT phone line engineers?Fault Reporting via Text MessageFault Reporting via Text Message

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

There are no BT phone line engineers, they are all Openreach. But, yes, not all are broadband trained. It is usually quicker to get a phone engineer.

Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

On the second BT appointment the engineer found it difficult to find the fault. He then re-wired the socket where the wire enters my flat (joint-box - not master socket) and said there was a bit of a “shine” on it ... is that a technical term? Anyway that seemed to fix the problem and all has been well since then. I’ve delayed reporting back because I wanted to be sure the problem had been truly solved. Once again many thank to everyone who has advised me.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution
0 Ratings