cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
albertj
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Is there any hope for fibre broadband for people who live in the middle of nowhere?

Hi,

I know someone who lives in the middle of nowhere, with no neighbours.

Their ADSL speed is 1 download, FTTC is enabled on the cabinet they're connected to (in the nearest village) but it's 5km away which is too far for FTTC.

Is there any hope for better speeds for people like this?

Thanks

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is there any hope for fibre broadband for people who live in the middle of nowhere?

There is a USO (universal service obligation) planned, estimated to be March 2020.
"The broadband universal service obligation (USO) will give people in the UK the right to request a decent and affordable broadband connection. Under the USO, eligible homes and businesses will be able to request a connection, where the cost of building it is no more than £3,400."

More info can be found on Ofcom's website Here

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: Is there any hope for fibre broadband for people who live in the middle of nowhere?

Hi,
Thank you. I am aware of this.
Unfortunately, I don't think they would qualify due to the WISP (not satellite) already available in their area.
Their prices for faster speeds are too high compared with Openreach's network.
--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Some exchanges offer the quite expensive FTTPoD / FoD (Fibre On Demand) which costs a fortune to setup but after the initial 12 month minimum term, you can then change to any FTTP/H provider under standard rates.

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, but as much as I want to have faster internet I don't think I could justify the cost. But I will take another look.

But there's no chance for companies to roll it out or new technology to help.
--
0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Openreach in partnership with BDUK are building FTTP in dozens of rural locations.

This myth that only people in Town/Cities can and will only get it is old and boring now.

I Install FTTP on a daily basis and an urban area to me is a Village or Hamlet with usually no more than a few dozen houses. The bulk of my work is in remote rural areas.

We had one so remote a while back I couldn’t even drive my Vivaro down the 3km track to the end users house so he came and got us and our gear in his 4X4.