cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JGDC74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 39

Is this normal for BT Infinity 2 Service?

Go to solution

After being with Sky Broadband for many years at my old house, I recently decided to switch to BT Broadband for my new house, mainly because of the free BT Sport. I chose BT Infinity 2 as my package as the website says I can get up to 80Mb speed at my postcode. There are only 3 things I wanted from my package: stable internet, fast internet, and BT Sport, and so far BT are unable to give me any of them for reasons that nobody there seems to know.

So 2 weeks ago it gets installed, and for the first day I get 64Mb which is acceptable. But every day since then it has been plagued by regular drop-outs (usually yellow and sometimes purple lights on the hub) making it totally unusable much of the time (seems more stable in the evenings I've noticed). What's more, the speed seems to be getting slower. A Speedtest check will regularly report anything between 6Mb to 32Mb. As of right now it is 22Mb which is way lower than the guaranteed 64Mb speed. The speed issue isn't major for me, but the regular drop-outs are. It makes it unusable. I never got this with Sky. 

Now I have complained about this many times over the past 2 weeks (during one online chat the connection went 4 times!), and they keep putting me through to the faults team who do a line test and say it's ok. One guy said he'd monitor it for the next few hours and call me back the next day. During that time it dropped out many times and he didn't call me back either. The next time I complained he said he'd reset the connection and that it would cut out for a few minutes and that I should call back after 10 days if it didn't improve. I had no internet for the next couple of hours until I rebooted the hub and the drop-outs continued. I was also told that I may face a £130 fee for an engineer to come out which i think is very unfair seeing as I'm a new customer and it is up to them to get me connected ok. I do not believe the issue is due to internal wiring (which is a bit strange I admit) as there are 2 different phone lines entering the house and the same issue was present on both.

Due to BT's lack of action I decided to cancel my direct debit and refused to pay my bill. As I said earlier there are only 3 things I wanted from my package: stable internet, fast internet, and BT Sport, and I have none of them so why should I pay? Today I demanded that my contract be cancelled due to this issue and was told that it can't due to it being over 14 days. I am so furious right now. This will end up going to the ombudsman because I refuse to pay for this. 

Now, does anybody else have this internet cutting out issue that I have? I just want to know if it's just me or is this a widespread problem that BT are ignoring? Thanks for all replies! 

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: Is this normal for BT Infinity 2 Service?

Go to solution
the £130 charge is an advisory it is only charged if the fault is found on your internal wiring or devices connected to the line

You won't pay the fee if:
The fault is in BT’s network
If the fault is with your BT hub and it is in warranty (contract)
If the fault is with your BT TV box (in or out of warranty)
If you have the same fault within 28 days
In case of BT Infinity, if you call within 28 days after the install
In case of BT Infinity, if the Openreach Fibre modem needs replacing
They are registered as a Chronically Sick and Disabled Person
You will pay the fee if the fault's with:
Your home wiring past the main socket, for example, extensions
The way you've got your equipment connected
Interference from something, for example your phone, alarm system, micro-filter or broadband router
Damage to our network, for example cut wire, damage from building work, trees or pets, or damage to sockets
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 39

Go to solution

@JGDC74 wrote:

As of right now it is 22Mb which is way lower than the guaranteed 64Mb speed.

You're not comparing like with like. BT & all ISPs will only provide & guarantee your sync speed as reported by the router, not your throughput as measured by speedtests.

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

@JGDC74 wrote:

I decided to cancel my direct debit and refused to pay my bill.

Dangerous! You risk being chased by debt collectors & marring your credit record.

Message 4 of 39

Go to solution

Hi @JGDC74

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

I'm sorry that you're having connection problems with your broadband.  I personally suffered with broadband drops when I moved house that went on for what must have been at least 2 months so I can relate to how frustrating it is when you're trying to use the service Smiley Frustrated

Normally, we would give the community the opportunity to help before stepping in however I can appreciate the amount of time that you've spent on this already.  Send us over your details and we'll get things the way they should be.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
JGDC74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 39

Go to solution

Router stats:

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+088044+1647006042
Firmware version:v0.09.03.07171-BT
Firmware updated:unknown
Board version:01
DSL uptime:1 days,08 Hours03 Mins05 Secs
Data rate:14.997 Mbps / 24.999 Mbps
Maximum data rate:40.933 Mbps / 70.885 Mbps
Noise margin:11.8 / 16.5
Line attenuation:15.7 / 12.7
Signal attenuation:16.6 / 12.7
Data sent / received:2.4 GB / 70.0 GB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-FK9R
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
5 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-FK9R
5 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep 9 10:05:09 2016)

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 39

Go to solution

You are being capped at 25 Meg by the DLM.

JGDC74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 39

Go to solution

Hi Robbie.

Thankyou for your offer of help, but the only resolution I'm interested in now is getting away from BT and moving to another provider. 

I'm extremely angry at a number of things, the drop-outs every day, the slow speed, the fact that I'm still unable to watch BT Sport after 2 weeks, being lied to twice by customer services regarding BT Sport, not being called back by the faults team when they should have seen that there was a problem, being fobbed off with excuses to prevent me from cancelling my contract, not getting any response from the online complaint form, being told that there was no record of me asking to cancel my contract during a call I made last week, and being threatened with a £600+ fine if I cancel now.

Enough is enough. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 39

Go to solution

Take up @RobbieMac's offer of help. One of the mods will get to the root of the problem and get it solved for you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 39

Go to solution

JGDC74

I would suggest that you contact the moderators as per the link that he has opened for you. Once you have done that just leave it to them to assist you. They will contact you as soon as your request reaches the top of their workstack. It is best if you no longer contact customer services as it will just lead to confusion about who is dealing with your problem.

0 Ratings
JGDC74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 39

Go to solution

Forgive my ignorance, but DLM?

0 Ratings