cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Issue Log - Full Fibre (FTTP) was working fine, now it's dead and nobody knows why.

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd log my issue here so that -

1) I have a record.

2) Maybe someone who actually knows what they are doing from either BT,  Openreach, or a customer that's been through this can provide some advice and/or actually fix this.

3) Other people considering switching to this package are aware that it still seems to be BETA with the customers as the products tester.

It all started in early February when we had our Fibre installed, everything looked ok but we had no internet connection. Openreach spent hours going back and forth between various boxes in the street trying to figure out the problem, in the end, they decided that it wasn't going to work and that they would have to draft in some other staff working on an FTTP rollout in another city to get it going over the weekend as they weren't qualified to do whatever needed to be done, not ideal as our existing provider (Virgin Media) had terminated our services the previous day.

As soon as the guys got in the van to leave, I plugged my own router in, and suddenly it started working, I ran out to the Openreach guy and he seemed dumbfounded that it was all working and went on his way. (I assume the first story about things needing to be changed by another team was an excuse because he had no idea - a common theme with all of them so far.)

A few weeks later, an engineer from Kelly Comms came out to fit the telephone, which was placed underneath the CSP box, meaning the CSP box was inaccessible.

Since then until yesterday, I had an absolutely solid internet connection, pulling 800mb-1gbps and everything was great, until it went down randomly, with no warning, explanation, or troubleshooting steps I could take.

The only thing I could see is that the PON light on the ONT was flashing, although I think this was always the case.

After spending 60 minutes on hold, a helpful customer support agent arranged for Openreach to visit to investigate.

Later on in the evening, I was driving down the road and saw the Openreach guys at the box, I asked the engineer if he was resolving an issue at our house and he said yes I am, then he knocked on our door later in the evening and said your telephone should be back online now and that he has moved the phone cables down because they blocked access to the CSP despite the fact that the telephone has always been fine and wasn't not working.

Either way, an Openreach engineer turned up today (28th) at 11 AM with his tools thinking it would be a broken fiber cable to see that the LOS light wasn't on and that wasn't the case (which I told the customer support agent)

He then disappeared for a few hours and then came back with his colleague who was a fiber "expert" as he wasn't qualified and they checked the light level which was within tolerance, fixed the flashing PON light and left again, instructing me to contact BT as "everything looks good from their side and he isn't sure he can do anything else".

After spending longer on hold to BT the lady I spoke to said that the notes on the account from Openreach make no sense as the process they instructed BT to carry out is for FTTC installations, not FTTP, and that there is nothing they can do from their side and that the engineer must have got his wires crossed (at least this made me laugh).

I have another engineer visiting tomorrow (another day wasted waiting in) and I pray that this time they send someone "qualified in FTTP", "experienced in FTTP" and "authorized to make changes to FTTP setups" so that I don't have to go back and forth between various people that seem to have no idea that BT even sells FTTP packages to get this resolved.

If anyone has any advice that would be great as I have a bad feeling that this is going to take a while as nobody seems to knows what the problem is. 

My advice to you BT is that you don't make engineers work on copper for a year before training them on fiber, that you understand people who pay £60 a month for internet are usually enthusiasts and appreciate answers and someone who actually understands what they are working with to come out and try to fix it, and for a communications company your internal communication is a shambles.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Issue Log - Full Fibre (FTTP) was working fine, now it's dead and nobody knows why.

Just to help you with your log, BT don't have nor do they train any engineers. You will find that Openreach engineers who have been with the company for years and started on copper services and were with the company during the development of FTTP services (which have been available as an on demand service for many years) are better trained and more knowledgeable than any newer staff.

I suspect that in your interaction with CS you haven't been dealing with the FTTP team. For future reference here is their direct number. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Issue Log - Full Fibre (FTTP) was working fine, now it's dead and nobody knows why.

Thanks for your feedback and for the fibre team number.

I gave them a call and they said they would get their overnight team to look at the routing and provisioning to check from their end, which is opposite to the lady I spoke to before saying there is no troubleshooting that BT can do for Fibre.

Openreach have updated the issue log to say they have visited today when they haven't and I am now back onto the fiber team who are running me through a reset process for the HUB and ONT.

It still seems like nobody knows what the problem is and I still don't have an internet connection.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

So.. Openreach didn't turn up today because BT never actually sent the appointment booking over to them, despite sending us confirmation.  Another day I have spent waiting in.

I spent another 2 hours today on the phone running through router resets, ONT restarts, and even tried my own router - no joy.

BT did the reset the Openreach engineer requested (despite the other BT agent previously telling me this was for FTTC not FTTP) and this obviously didn't work.

Openreach booked again tomorrow. Under a new fault report. The estimated fix day is now the 5th of May.

We have disabled people living in this house that require Smart home IOT technology to make their lives easier, we also have people who work providing software and support (currently remotely due to Covid) to the NHS and a 4G hotspot tether using our mobile phones just doesn't cut it.

We purchased this package as it was meant to be the best, most reliable, and fastest there was yet we are unable to even get an answer or even any idea as to what the problem is, the answers we get given seem to be made up out of thin air.

If there is anyone from BT who actually knows what they are doing and is willing to take ownership of this, please contact me - I am having to project manage the whole issue and it's not right.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Unfortunately the FTTP team are the only ones who can help you. The mods here don't deal withh FTTP issues.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

It seems like the FTTP team can't help me either.

The manager call back which I was promised in 3 hours maximum hasn't materialized.

Neither has the call back from the two helpdesk staff I spoke to yesterday who said they would personally call at 1 PM and 3 PM respectively to check on the situation.

0 Ratings