cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul-Ryan
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Issues with BT website & Upgrade to Fibre

The context here is my recent upgrade from standard broadband to fibre.  I hadn't previously been on Infinity, because it wasn't available for my address as we're on an Exchange Only (EO) connection.

BT sent me a letter a month ago saying that Fibre was now available to me.  I arranged for the upgrade to happen.  New Smart Hub has been installed & email notification received that we're now live with the new service.

Problem is that I haven't noticed any improvement - if anything there's been a degradaton in service in fact.

So, I've tried to check my line speed, to see what it actually is in practice.  I made use of the testing facility on the BT website, but although I get to the end ok it doesn't display the actual results.  Tried this on different devices but same outcome.  How/where do I find the test result itself?

Second issue: tried using the Webchat facility to rase this question, but it just closes as soon as I post on it.  Useless.

Finally: when aranging the upgrade, I asked the guy on the phone to double-check that the EO aspect wouldn't still be a limiting factor.  He assured me that it wouldn't be.   I'd be grateful for re-confirmation of this.   I've noticed on other posts that there can be a difference of view between BT and Openreach & I'd like to know if that might apply here.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Issues with BT website & Upgrade to Fibre

Can you post the line stats from the Hub? Go to http://192.168.1.254 - Advanced settings - Technical log.
0 Ratings
Paul-Ryan
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Are these the entries you mean?

Data rate:9.999 Mbps / 48.838 Mbps
Maximum data rate:12.257 Mbps / 56.366 Mbps
Noise margin:8.4 / 5.8
Line attenuation:32.6 / 20.0
Signal attenuation:32.4 / 17.9
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

You have indeed been upgraded giving you a connection speed of almost 49Mbps which should give you about  45Mbs in real terms.

Try THIS to test your speed and post the result.

Note: any speed test should be performed with a wired connection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

go to advanced settings then technical log information and post results

enter your phone number and post results delete number    https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

from your stats you have a 48mb connection speed far greater than possible on adsl

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Paul-Ryan
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

reply to ppincp:

Have run this a few times.  Results are varying a lot, but typical one is along these lines:

Ping ms 40

Download Mbps 18.79

Upload Mbps 3.35

No, that's not with a wired connection, but it does allow me to say that these look much the the same as I was getting from similar on-line checkers before this upgrade.

0 Ratings
Paul-Ryan
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Reply to imjolly:

DSL Checker.jpg

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Your line is syncing below the handback threshold. Try connecting the Hub to the test socket and see if it increases the line rate.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@Paul-Ryan wrote:

reply to ppincp:

Have run this a few times.  Results are varying a lot, but typical one is along these lines:

Ping ms 40

Download Mbps 18.79

Upload Mbps 3.35

No, that's not with a wired connection, but it does allow me to say that these look much the the same as I was getting from similar on-line checkers before this upgrade.

Your problem is your wifi, not your connection. Try splitting the bands and changing channels.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

0 Ratings