cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nsz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: Issues with bufferbloat on HH6/latency spikes when downloading, etc.

Go to solution

We're currently still in the 10-14 day "settling down" period since we so recently upgraded - I also didn't realise just quite how far we are from the street cabinet (and what this means for the speed I'll recieve). I'm hoping the speed might rise a little more within the next two weeks or so (enough to allow for some overhead to maybe avoid triggering buffer issues) but failing that, it seems like we're all just expecting a little too much from the speeds in this area.

1Mb/s upload and a bunch of smartphones are obviously going to lead to issues down the road, especially with the constant syncing these days.

@peaslaker, thank you for the great post. I can't imagine the amount of people with constant "broadband issues" whose real problem might actually just come down to bufferbloat and HH6's (and many other routers, too) inability to utilise anything that might help mitigate it.

Perhaps I've just been spoiled by 52Mb/s for too long. I was so used to using the internet so much that I didn't even consider the numbers behind it all. Maybe a lot of us don't.

Also, my most recent BT phone support contact has assured me that bits and bytes are exactly the same thing. Thanks.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

if your BT support has told you bits and Bytes are the same then I would be careful as there a 8 bits in 1 Byte - important when looking at internet speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+088047+1650000415
Firmware version:v0.09.05.11160-BT
Firmware updated:Mon Jan 8 14:22:20 2018
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 days,19 Hours26 Mins43 Secs
Data rate:1.141 Mbps / 13.095 Mbps
Maximum data rate:1.141 Mbps / 15.244 Mbps
Noise margin:5.6 / 8.3
Line attenuation:13.8 / 32.5
Signal attenuation:13.8 / 30.6
Data sent / received:298.0 MB / 3.4 GB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-FPH9
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
5 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-FPH9-5
5 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:E4:3E:D7:FE:95:D9
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep 9 10:05:09 2016)

Is that the full information screen as i can see no infinity data there, are you sure your not on ADSL2+ and not VDSL? either that or youve been banded on the lowest VSDL profile ive ever seen.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

@AndyCoffin

if you check dslchecker results in message 4 you will see it is infinity or faster broadband or broadband with fibre which ever name it is known by now - I think it is infinity 1 now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

i tryied but the image wouldnt load for me for some reasion. ive got it up now via my phone.

dam chrome :@

im out of idea's but haveing run a bufferbloat test on my connection i get some but ive never noticed issues in game

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

@AndyCoffin

I am using chrome and image loaded without a problem

0 Ratings
nsz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

@AndyCoffin, we are around 1 mile from our cabinet (even though there is another cabinet closer to us) and the wiring connecting us to the cabinet is still aluminium in places.

Despite this, I'm not sure how BT can advertise speeds "up to 24Mb/s" in my area knowing what variables exist to hamper the connection. 12Mb/s on a so-called VDSL connection is laughable and if I don't fix this with BT  before the contract locks in, this household will be stuck sharing 12Mb/s for the next 18 months or so.

I'll be calling them back up tomorrow to discuss the situation again and I'm not going to take the age-old "your internet is still adjusting" for an answer. Either BT find a way to literally double the speed or I'll be shelling out to have FTTC laid from the other cabinet closer to us with a local broadband provider. 12Mb/s is simply unacceptable.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution
Openreach control the cabinets so if you want FTTC then it has to be openreach as only they have access to the cabinets. All ISPs use openreach connections for FTTC apart from virgin You are just to far from cabinet to get faster speed and if there is aluminium cable from can to your home that is just making your connection worse

0 Ratings
nsz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

There is a cabinet far closer to us (twice as close as the cabinet we are connected to) but for some reason we are not connected to that cabinet. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

There are numerous posts about nearer cabinets and openreach will not change your cabinet and re- route your line just to improve your broadband connection.  Hope would be if it is a new fill in cabinet but only openreach will know that and if it is whether your will benefit

0 Ratings