cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VortexHD
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Just Upgraded to Fibre broadband and Speeds aren't what I expected.

Hello,

I just got upgraded to FTTC services today and I'm getting speeds of 10Mbps Down and 1Mbps Up.

When I ordered the service I received an email stating I would get speeds between  8 - 14Mbps which I am receiving, however, when I use the ADSL Checker it tells me I should be getting speeds of 15Mbps.

This is a bit frustrating as I just moved from the middle of nowhere with speeds of 12Mbps to a town and I'm receiving less which I find quite odd. I have looked into which cabinet I'm on and it's just my luck that its halfway across town even though there is one down the road. I know that Openreach doesn't often change cabinets for people and if they do it costs over £1000. 

I'm also paying £10 more for an extra 2Mbps which atm is not worth it. However, I got an email from Openreach telling me that my address is part of the ultrafast roll out program which I am pleased about but I'm guessing that won't be happening anytime soon.

Anyway back to my question, Am I receiving the correct speeds? if not can anyone help me get it to the 15Mbps listed on the ADSL Checker?

Thank You

-Jack

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Just Upgraded to Fibre broadband and Speeds aren't what I expected.

The DSL checker says you will get between 7.9 and 15.3 which you are doing, it doesn't say you will get 15.

Give G.Inp a chance and you might get a slight improvement in a few days.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

The dslchecker shows your estimated range us between 15/8mb and your current speed is 10mb so you are within expected range

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves connection speed

is there any line noise. Dual 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

post stats from advanced settings then technical log information 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
VortexHD
Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Ok, that makes sense. The speeds in my first post were using a filter in the test socket. I only have access to a wireless phone and I do hear some noise on the quiet line test which I didn't experience at my old house with the same phone. The Technical Log is below:Screenshot_1.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 26

If you can hear noise  then report a line fault not a broadband one.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

as @pippincp  says if you can here noise on quiet line test then report it to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

Hi @VortexHD,

How are things with your connection? Did you report a line fault as suggested by @imjolly  and @pippincp?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
VortexHD
Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Hello,

Thx for asking. I have ordered a corded phone so I can test the line properly. On the quiet line test how quiet is it ment to be?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 26

Silent.

0 Ratings
VortexHD
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Hello,

The BT engineer came out this morning and reduced the line noise because a cable in the socket was loosely connected.

There is still a bit of noise but he said that it's normal. The Broadband speeds haven't increased, unfortunately 😞

He did, however, say that we should contact BT and ask to change cabinets which is odd because I have asked BT before at our old house and they said it's not possible. But he seems to think it is and also won't cost much at all and might be free which is good but I have no idea who to contact to do this. He mentioned that they don't do it often because service providers say it's not possible when in fact it is.

Any help with this is appreciated.

Thank You

0 Ratings