cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Just a few full fibre questions....

Hi,

I'm currently connected using VDSL and FTTP has just arrived for order in my area.

Couple of questions if I may?

1. Does FTTP remain connected for long periods of time?  Currently my VDSL will reboot itself every 7 or 8 days.

2. What are limiting factors for achieving top speed?  With VDSL main one was distance from the green cabinet.  If I was to opt for Fibre900 are there any clues as to what speed I may achieve?  A guaranteed minimum of 450 whilst paying a 900 package isn't very reassuring.

3. What kind of usage is expected for any of the packages where speed is above 100 to make it worthwhile?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Just a few full fibre questions....

Connection should not reset every 7/8 days

you should get the full connection speed at your router 

just usage as you want there is no restriction. Really just what you want to pay determines the package you select

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

thanks for reply RevIMJolly,

VDSL reset isn't a major issue. it's always done it (using BT equipment)  Would be nice if FTTP was expected live 24/7.

About connection speed, have been reading some topics on here about problems with the 900 package.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

There is no reason why your VDSL should lose sync every 7 or 8 days, but if it does , FTTP may well improve that,  FTTP isn’t rate adaptive, you connect at whatever speed  you pay for, but it is a ‘shared’ system , ( DL 2.4Gb/ UL 1.2Gb)  so available bandwidth (throughput) is dependent on others and what they are doing.

It does seems that the supplied router can be a limiting factor and similarly any  WiFi is unlikely to deliver anything like the 900Mb ( if that’s the product purchased ) but if you purchase  900Mb that’s what your connection is, and a correctly configured router will deliver that over wired Ethernet .
If a guarantee of minimum 450Mb is not good enough on a 900Mb product, then consider a leased line, they are not a contended service ( not shared ) but are considerably more expensive.
Only you can decide if paying for higher speeds is worth it...it’s unlikely if your bandwidth requirements are modest that you would experience any diffence between 100Mb and 900Mb, but if you download large files you would.

Message 5 of 9

@The_Bin_Man 

The problem seems to be pointing at the Home Hub 2 regarding speed problems.

That is a choice you can determine.

1: Put up with it hoping a permanent fix comes soon.

2: Purchase a quality third party router which WILL work without issue.

Regarding cut-outs I have had none in the 11 days since it was installed.

It just works fantastic. 🙂

router uptime.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@busterboy1 

Thanks for your reply.

I think I would end up in the hope for a fix camp because forking out anything extra, let alone £300 for an Asus RT-AX88U just doesn't go down well with me because the ISP gear isn't up to it.

It does look pretty good though!!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

You can buy a 3rd party router for around £50 but it really depends on what features you need. If you need very fast Wi-Fi then you will need to pay more although nowhee near £300.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Looks like I could use my Apple Time Capsule.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@The_Bin_Manwrote:

Looks like I could use my Apple Time Capsule.

No reason why not.

0 Ratings