cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Just had Fibre 900 installed, speeds are hovering around 200Mbps

Wondering if anyone else is / has experienced this and can offer help.

Testing -

Heavy household usage, lots of phones, computers, gaming, streaming throughout the day. About 8 devices at any given time.

These speeds were tested over wi-fi so I would expect limitations, but not this low. Testing next to the Hub 2, I get around 250-150Mbps download and 60-100Mpbs upload.

In a bedroom located above the Hub 2 I am getting 300-500Mpbs download and reliable 100Mbps upload.

In a bedroom which wi-fi struggles to reach, I am using the disc. Getting around 80-150Mbps download and 50-70Mbps upload. Using the ethernet port on the disc, my Xbox is getting 150-220Mbps download (I am aware the Xbox caps download).

Overall, inconsistent speeds around the house and nowhere near the 900Mbps speeds I am paying for... not ever the Stay Fast Guarantee speeds.

Screenshot_20200815-182144_Speedtest.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Just had Fibre 900 installed, speeds are hovering around 200Mbps

using search this is a larger thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Fibre-900-speeds-all-over-the-place/m-p/2030407#M3022...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

I would start by confirming the firmware version (it should be v17) and what’s coming to the hub first if not already.

• Can you test the speeds with a laptop/computer connected directly to the hub using fast.com (BTs favourite) and if your speeds are poor then
  • You could try factory resetting your hub, disconnecting the cable from the hub and power cycling the ONT (leave it off for at least 5mins)
    power up the ont but leave the hub off without the cable.
  • when the pon  light is solid turn on the hub until the light is purple and connect the cable to the wan port.
  • now test the speed and if you’re getting a good service move onto the Wi-fi.

As you’ll know Wi-fi can be effected by a ton of things, if it was me I’d start by checking

• which clients are connected to which frequency in the hub
  • See if any of the slower clients are on the 2.4 but are 5 capable by turning off the 2.4 in the hub
  • make sure you’ve not got overlapping channels with a neighbour 

And Apologies in advance if you’ve already tried all of this.

There’s a ton of folks reporting several poor speed characteristics of Fibre900 so you’re not alone.

Some have been more successful with a 3rd party router to boost their Wi-fi speeds.

Message 4 of 8

We have exactly the same issue in much the same circumstances (6 weeks now since connection and the highest speed we have tested is 350mbps from the Hub but routinely it is under 100mbps and often as low as 25-35). We’ve had the engineer back out and the line to the Hub is working as expected (c850mbps). Impossible to get through to the fibre customer service team on phone currently. Massively frustrating!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Going to ring them on Monday and see what they say. I have seen people suggest getting a new router (like Asus, Netgear, ect) but I'd rather not spend money to fix a problem that's not my fault...
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

With latency like that in the 200Mbps I would say your using WiFi and a wireless N router and not an AC connection would I be correct?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

All those speedtest results are via wifi. What do you get with a wired connection?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

You would get closer to the Gigabit that your paying for.  See WiFi severely impacts this type of stuff to the extent that if you wanted to see 1Gig unless you had a brand new phone and a new BT Router its unlikely you will see that 1gb.

The latency is also very high on a wired connection I would expect less than 30ms and on Fibre I would expect 8ms WiFi adds a significant overhead here too.

I would say with a Wired Connection you are likely to get the full whack