cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrazUK
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Just wondering if everything is ok here.

Sorry for the long post, but there's a few things I'd like to get some information on regarding service quality and billing.

I've been experiencing latency/delay in online games. I usually have a ping of around 40-50 (which I do think is a little high to be honest) but in the FPS games I play I consistently notice delay that make it feel as though I have a ping af around 200.

When I first had Infinity installed, my pings to uk and other eu servers would be around 11ms which did gradually increase over the 10 day testing period to around 21ms.  I was also estimated to get a speed of 36/6. My speed on installation was around 28/5 which I was ok about but over the 10 days my speed settled to about 22/4.

After a few months I had a problem with my connection, it went completely off and had to have an engineer come out who said he had to replace a component in the cabinet. All was fine, and was now getting speeds of 42/7 and my gaming pings were at 11 again (in fact as low as 7 in some games, like l4d2 and cs). The connection settled in at about 46mbs this time and my pings were around 21 again.

A short while after, my connection went off again and had to have an engineer out for a second time. This time the engineer said he had replaced a component in the cabinet and reset my line. My speeds were now 56/10 with pings back to 11 again. Whoopee. After the 10 days my line was still at 56/10 and my pings were still awesome.

A short while after my connection went off AGAIN and had to have a 3rd visit by an engineer. This time he said that the last guy has set my line profile too high (56) and my line just wasn't capable of that speed due to the alluminium wiring in the area and was only capable of around 26, which he had now set it to. BUT, if my line was only capable of 26, why over the next 10 days did my speed actually go UP to 42/6? Right now my minimum pings seem to be around 40 when gaming and something just doesn't feel right. It just feels unresponsive no matter what game I play.

My net hasn't gone off since then (it's been over a year), but I have always been confused because each time, prior to the connection completeley dieing it seemed to perform flawlessly. Especially on 56/10. My gaming experience was phenomanal and so responsive with no connection drops whatsoever. I was downloading large files at consistent speeds and never witnessed a connection drop

Anyway, my connection seems to be stable now as in not getting any connection drops. Download speeds seem to be consistent for my connection speed although the speed does seem to fluctuate between 28/4.5 and 42/7. There seems to be no link here with peak times as the speed varies around the clock and I see 42/7 at peak times sometimes and 28/4.5 off peak. Sometimes vice versa.

While I'm happy with the speeds I get, I just don't feel like my connection is as responsive as it should be for gaming so I've ran a few tests and put the results below so someone can take a look at them to see if everything seems normal.

Addittionally, since I am now out of contract I am thinking of moving to another ISP unless BT can give me a better deal and improve my service where possible. Initially, when I signed up, I worked out the monthly bill for my service to be £36 per month (although I'm not sure if this was before of after VAT) after the first few months half price line rental. I'm not sure how but somewhere along the line my bill crept up to £51 per month (before calls).

One thing that was quite annoying when signing up was that I was looking for an unlimited package. While my line was estimated to get 36/6 I thought I'd choose a 40mb package. However, the only unlimited package was the 80mb one. So I had to pay for a connection speed I would not recieve just to get unlimited downloads. I was wondering If BT could offer me a 40mb unlimited package these days so I can save a bit.

I'm also paying for an anytime addon on to a phone package which includes weekend and evening calls. Do I really need a package with weekend and evening calls? Doesn't the any time addon cover evenings and weekends?

Anyway below are the results of the tests I mentioned above:

speedtest.net selects Maidenhead as my closest server at 50 miles when in reality I'm in West Yorkshire and my closest server is in Leeds which is 20 miles away. speedtest lists leeds as 200 miles away.

tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.103]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  BTHomeHub.home [192.168.1.254]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    20 ms    20 ms    20 ms  217.41.217.77
  5    21 ms    20 ms    21 ms  212.140.206.106
  6    20 ms    20 ms    21 ms  217.41.169.13
  7    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  217.41.169.107
  8    20 ms    20 ms    21 ms  acc1-10GigE-10-3-0.sf.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.2
51.97]
  9    30 ms    31 ms    31 ms  core1-Te0-13-0-10.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
251.171]
 10    28 ms    33 ms    28 ms  peer2-xe3-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.223]
 11    28 ms    28 ms    28 ms  194.74.65.42
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13    29 ms    31 ms    29 ms  ae0.er01.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.93]
 14    30 ms    29 ms    29 ms  132.185.255.165
 15    31 ms    31 ms    31 ms  fmt-vip132.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.103]

Trace complete.

I'm not sure how to break this down, but the second and third always time out regardless of the location I run the traceroute on.

test.png

Theres a 38/9.5 package and here my download speed is .5mb slower than 38 on an 80mb package. Shouldn't my upload speed be more like 9mb?

Sorry for the long post, I just thought I'd mention everything on my mind in one place:)

Cheers!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Just wondering if everything is ok here.

If you run this checker it will show what your line can support.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If your estimated speed on a Range B impacted line is no greater than you are presently getting you would be as well downgrading to Infinity 1 otherwise you are paying for speeds you can not get.

If you contact the Options Team on 0800.800.030 they might cut you a deal but I doubt it. They don't seem to be bothered trying to offer anything to existing customers on  an Infinity package.

0 Ratings
FrazUK
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

I will phone BT in the near future and see what they can offer me. I've just taken a look at their packages for the first time since i had fiber put in nerly 2 years ago and see they now offer an unlimited infinity 1 package, with a saving of a whopping £3 per month over the inifinity 2 package.

Anyway, aside from this, can anyone tell me why hops 2 and 3 of my traceroute always time out? Is this a problem?

Cheers!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

As long as your traceroute reaches the destination there is no problem with hops 2 and 3
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
FrazUK
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Ok thanks!

0 Ratings