Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wisar
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Justifying Superfast Broadband

My wife and I live in a small village just outside of Marlow.   We have ADSL but the quality is very poor with speeds from 1.5 to 3 on a good day).   The equally small villages on either side of us have been upgraded to Fibre but we have not.  In fact, I have learned from BT that we are considered uneconomical and will have to rely on government help.   Unfortunately we are also not in line for that help though maybe, possibly, by 2017.

One of our two neighboring villages, 500 meters away from us, is connected to cabinet on the Marlow Exchange which is two miles from us.   We are on a cabinet connected to the Littlewick Green exchange which is three miles away from us.  From what I understand there is only one other village on that cabinet and that village is 500 meters from the cabinet (so they get decent ADSL speed). 

This feels like a case where we may never have access to an improved connection.  I know there are alternatives but fibre is by far the most cost effective and I want it!

Can a case be made that our village should be on the Marlow exchange and have the costs of that switch be factored into the economics?   Is there any precedent for this?   Are there any other ways that we can proceed with a winning argument?  We are a small village of around 100 homes surrounded by greenspace so I know we are at a disadvantage.

Thanks,

Will

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
dfenceman
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Justifying Superfast Broadband

Hi wisar,

Have you tried contacting your project team at Connected Counties website to find out where you are in the roll-out ?

Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire County Councils have signed an £18.06 million contract with BT, to bring fibre broadband to “more than 90%”of premises in the two counties by the end of March 2016.

BT is contributing £8.6 million to the project while Hertfordshire County Council and Buckinghamshire County Council are contributing £1.61 million and £3.7 million, respectively, including funding from the two Local Enterprise Partnerships. A further £4.15 million is coming from the Government’s Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) funds.

It is expected that the first areas will be upgraded in mid-2014.

When your cabinet is FTTC enabled it need not necessarily be from the exchange from which you currently get your phone and ADSL service.

Best regards,
dfenceman
wisar
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Dfenceman:

Yes, I have been in contact with SuperFastBerks.   It does not look like we are earmarked for any funding any time soon.   Obviously I will try to agitate to get that changed.  Are you implying, however, that a case could be made for us to get our Fibre from the closer, already enabled, exchange?

Thanks,

Will

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 4 of 11

Hi wisar,

When you said you were near Marlow I assumed you were still in Bucks.  Are you saying you are excluded from the SuperFastBerks project ?

I was not implying anything, just saying that, unless you ahe information to the contrary, the fibre to your cabinet does not necessarily have to come from your phone exchange. 

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
wisar
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Dfenceman:

Just across the river from Marlow the river being the Bucks/Berks dividing line.   Our postcode, however, associates to Bucks as we are served by the post office in Marlow. 

It is frustrating to be getting such **bleep** internet service when a half mile in either direction there are villages with Fibre.  We are lost in no-Fibre land.

Will

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 11

Hi wisar,

The issue is that if your cabinet (pcp) is approx 3 miles away, and some other properties in the same village are connected to a cabinet (pcp) approx 2 miles away, even if they were both installed and connected to a DSLAM cabinet you may not even be able to get FTTC fibre broadband as your just too far from the cabinet.

Therefore a different solution would need to be deployed.

Have you tried contacting your MP and seeing if they can get any information on if your in scope of the BDUK programme or to even see if the village can get any community funding to improve or install an alternative broadband solution?

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

The distance to the exchange doesn't matter with fibre, only the distance to the cabinet.  VDSL doesn't travel so well as ADSL over long distances, so if the cabinet is in the next village, then upgrading it may not help.

Openreach are very unlikely to re-route a cabinet to a different exchange.  It would be a huge job running a completely new set of copper cables and fibres to the new exchange.  It also may not be popular with people who don't use broadband, as all their phone numbers would change.

Without a subsidy from somebody, I can't see it ever being financially viable for Openreach.

0 Ratings
wisar
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Fair point on the distance to the Exchange being less important than the distance to the cabinet.   How do I find out the location of a cabinet?  We are on Littlewick Green Cabinet 9 which I understand is at the intersection of the 404 and Henley Road.   The two villages to either side of us are on Littlewick Green Cabinet 7 and Marlow Cabinet 19.

If one of those cabinets were closer than Cabinet 9 could a case be made for fibre connectivity to come from there?   If not, is it any easier to do a new copper connection?   I want the speed of fibre but if we had a copper connection to the Marlow exchange I estimate that my speed would double if not close to triple based on the speed the village a half mile away gets (8.5-12 according to the ADSL checker).

On a slight tangent.  What other connectivity options is the government sponsoring through the BBUK program?

I am learning my way around this issue so thanks for patience!

Will

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 9 of 11

@wisar wrote:

Fair point on the distance to the Exchange being less important than the distance to the cabinet.   How do I find out the location of a cabinet?  We are on Littlewick Green Cabinet 9 which I understand is at the intersection of the 404 and Henley Road.  You have just said where it is ?

If one of those cabinets were closer than Cabinet 9 could a case be made for fibre connectivity to come from there?   FTTC is Firbre To The Cabinet, the connection to your home is still by the existing mettalic cable.  It is extremely unlikely that Openreach would connect you to an alternative cabinet, the cost would be far too high.

On a slight tangent.  What other connectivity options is the government sponsoring through the BBUK program?  The government are not specifying the technology to be used.  That is down to Superfast Berkshire & Openreach to come up with the most cost effective way of achieving the target.

I am learning my way around this issue so thanks for patience!

You said before that you were not included in the Superfast Berkshire programme.  Did you contact them to find out why ?

Will

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
wisar
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Dfenceman:

Sorry, the cabinets that I am wondering about are Marlow 19 and Littlewick Green 7.  I would also like to be able to confirm Littlewick Green is where I think it is as what I quote as the location is an "I think" as opposed to "I know".   If it is where I think that it is then we are about three miles away from it.  My question being one of "are we connected to the right place" and if not could we ask that Openreach or BDUK look at funding a switch?   I would hope that someone would have already asked this question but while I trust I also want to verify.

SuperFastBerkshire did not say specifically why we were not included but I will ask.   I was just curious what other alternatives BDUK has funded for other stranded communities.

Thanks again for your comments,

Will

0 Ratings