cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

LVCAL Infinity Availability Delays

Really unhappy about Infinity (FTTC) availability in our area - was promised it by Dec 2013 (pretty much all of last year), then when it hadn't arrived and it was already January, it changed to "Jan to Mar 2014" then to "31 Mar 2014". Again, the date came and went, and today it has changed to "between April and September 2014".

First of all, I fail to see how a delay of getting on for a year is reasonable - and why the information is so obviously incorrect (BT must have known early in March that they weren't going to hit their target date). It feels like it is one of those tricks to try to keep you hanging on and not take alternative options (have complained to the ASA specifically about this, especially as BT already had a judgement against them about the availability checker in January last year).

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2013/1/British-Telecommunications-plc/SHP_ADJ_209611.asp...

Secondly, why they can't be more open with the reasons for the delay - unless, of course, it is simply incompetence or lack of resources and planning.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: LVCAL Infinity Availability Delays

Before the ASA ruling they were giving accurate information. After the ruling they are now giving the information you see. They don't have to give any information as far as I can see, as it's commercially sensitive. See http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/387925/mps-fume-as-bts-fibre-rollout-plans-are-kept-secret
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
jeimuzu
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

I think it's disgusting how we are being treated. I am in the same situation. Promised all last year by the end of 2013. This was then pushed back to march 2014. NGA told me early to mid February 2014. All lies and secrecy.

The cabinet is there. I know it will be eventually available. What's the issue.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 6

Unfortunately, the ASA told BT to ensure that the availability checker only included dates if they corresponded to scheduled plans for Openreach to engineer the BT Infinity service to the corresponding area.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
jeimuzu
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Ok so if BT have information to suggest that there is scheduled plans for our areas between set dates, why can't they confirm what work needs doing and why the hold up?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@jeimuzu wrote:
Ok so if BT have information to suggest that there is scheduled plans for our areas between set dates, why can't they confirm what work needs doing and why the hold up?

Because it's easier not to publish what might happen and then have to apologise and publish updates which is what they did before they were criticised. Delays can be caused because of planning permission, lack of demand, lack of power supply or any other reason that BT may not have foreseen. If they hit a problem they may just put it on the "we'll do it later" list so that they can keep to their schedule for other upgrades on time.

You could try asking your local councilor or local MP to ask Openreach and they might get an answer.

0 Ratings