cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Lack of service

Hi I bought the super fast fiber package. However, I'm losing wifi signal around every 30 minutes. We are unable to download any videos on any if our phones. We have to do this using our phones data. My son cant play on any games on his computer without the wifi going off. Watching a programme on Netflix or Amazon means the signal drops outs around 3/4 times in on film. I'm extremely confused that I am being charged for a service that I am not receiving. I have tried unsuccessfully to contact BT via phone. I have also reset my box a number of times. Please can someone help 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lack of service

@Dollypops15 

Welcome to this user forum.

Do the lights on the Bt Home Hub change colour when you lose your connection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Hi yes they do. It turns orange and flashes. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

@Dollypops15 wrote:

Hi yes they do. It turns orange and flashes. 

Then that has nothing to do with your wireless connection, its a problem with the phone line.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

We dont have a phone. I only have it for internet. How come the wifi doesnt work then? I'm confused. Thanks 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@Dollypops15 wrote:

We dont have a phone. I only have it for internet. How come the wifi doesnt work then? I'm confused. Thanks 

If your broadband connection goes down, you will lose your wifi connection to the Internet, its as simple as that.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

Its also worth checking to make sure you do not have a problem within your own phone wiring, as this could result in an £85 visit charge.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpeg

Keith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Thank you we will try and get a phone today. My box is similar to number 1 but extremely tiny. When our wifi was connected an engineer used this box as it was the only box that meant 2/3rds of the house recieved signal. Thanks 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

@Dollypops15 wrote:

Thank you we will try and get a phone today. My box is similar to number 1 but extremely tiny. When our wifi was connected an engineer used this box as it was the only box that meant 2/3rds of the house recieved signal. Thanks 

I assume that the master socket does not have any removable part which is screwed in like on my picture number 1?

When you mentioned about the use of that socket, does that mean you have other sockets in the house, as they could be causing the broadband to disconnect?

If you do have other phone sockets, please make sure there is nothing plugged into them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Yes we have another 3 sockets throughout the house. Nothing is in any of them. The engineer chose this one as it was the best one for wifi signal and reached 2 out of the 3 floors. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

@Dollypops15 wrote:

Yes we have another 3 sockets throughout the house. Nothing is in any of them. The engineer chose this one as it was the best one for wifi signal and reached 2 out of the 3 floors. 

That is not really ideal, as the extra wiring could affect the connection speed, but it should not cause disconnections unless there is a fault on the extension wiring.

Do you know whether that the socket that is in use, is the first one where the phone line comes into the house?

Does your phone line come from a telephone pole outside, or does it just come in under the ground?

0 Ratings