Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Lag spikes when gaming along with constant high noise margin

Go to solution

Hi all,

I recently posted on these forums regarding my 'slow' download speeds. Here's the thread. 

Today, I tried playing some Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on my PC upstairs (wireless connection - I do not have a network cable and my network speed/ latency has been 100% fine for the past 3-5 years so I'm not likely to change for a while) and I've been noticing some major lag spikes when playing.

We usually leave the router switched off during the night and then turn it back on in the morning when we use the internet. These past 2 days, I've left the hub on and been monitoring the noise margin to no avail. Within the first 24 hours, the noise margin dropped to 9.9 but then went back up to 10.4 and today to 10.6. I've been told this can effect my speeds? I don't believe I'm getting any packet loss (I've checked my connection settings via my TeamSpeak Server, it usually tells me if I'm losing packets or not). 

I've tried other online games and the same thing is happening. It happens like every 30 seconds however it only happens when playing games. Streaming videos from YouTube etc doesn't seem to have any effect on the lag spikes.

I've managed to screenshot this happening when using speedtest.net: fe1b14d0b1d3a1aeaededef22c19d760.png

Normally, the line would be straight with no bumps.

In-game, I normally get the latency of 17-30ms depending on server, this then jumps to 150-170. Why is this happening? I've been on livechat with the BT support team, they've suggested changing the default channel for the 2.4GHz connection from 6 to channel 11 - not sure what that would help but I did it and still I'm getting the same issues.

I've tried restarting the router, still nothing. I'm lost on what to do. I'm meant to be practicing for the upcomming ESL Open League.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lag spikes when gaming along with constant high noise margin

Go to solution

Anyone having a clue why this may be happening? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Parabola5551
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lag spikes when gaming along with constant high noise margin

Go to solution

No idea why the hell it was playing up. I changed the SSID of the 5GHz frequency to something else and connected to it manually (disabled the sync with 2.4GHz option) and it seems to be working 100% fine. No idea why it was playing up.

0 Ratings