cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robbieyo
Message 1 of 4

Laggspikes after switching to BT.

Hiya,

So recently I switched from Sky to BT, upgraded my internet speed by a huge ammount. My ping in games went down from about 45-50 to 35-40 which is nice but every 15 or so seconds I tend to get a laggspike where my ping goes up to 150 for a few seconds.

I do use wireless HOWEVER, when I was with Sky I also used wireless and I never had any sort of laggspikes at all, I'd always be around 45-50 ping.

When the technician arived, we did run a speedtest and I was only getting about 26 MBs due to the internet card on my laptop beeing very old (my laptop it self is 6 years old) which seems true since on my oldest laptop I only get 16 MBs when I run speedtests. Would this have anything to do with the fact that I get laggspikes?

Getting to plug in an Ethernet cable to my laptop in my room would mean having to drag a cable through the hole house and that would be really inconvenient. Is there anything other than plugging in an ethernet cable into my laptop that would help me solve this issue?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
MuttyWango
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lagspikes after switching to BT.

It sounds like your elderly laptops are the cause of your problems, your huge speed increase requires much more computing power including hard drive access.

I would temporarily connect your laptop to your router with a short ethernet cable to see if that makes any difference.

You could try one of these : Edimax EW-7811Un - fast wifi for under a tenner - however your ageing machines may not be able to cope with the data throughput.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 4

You could also consider the powerline option.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi Robbieyo,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I’d have to agree with both MuttyWango and pippincp here. Replacing the wireless card should improve the connection and using the powerline adaptors will eliminate the cable issues. Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings