cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Latency on WiFi Calling

Hi,

We have BT Fibre to the premises which is great but!

We have very poor mobile signals in our area so Wi-Fi calling seems like the way to go, unfortunately it's unusable using our home Wi-Fi . There is a 1 to 2 second delay between saying something and the other person hearing it and the same the other way around, this makes conversation impossible.

Does anyone else have this problem, or even better does anyone have a solution to this issue.

My initial Internet research seems to point the finger at Wi-Fi Latency but using the Open Signal App gives a very low latency on our Wi-Fi of 8ms.

Looking forward to any comments,

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Latency on WiFi Calling

I’ve used wifi calling for years previously on approx 50mbps FTTC and now 900mbps FTTP (wifi speeds I know are much lower) but never had any kind of latency, delay or anything of the sort, nor has my girlfriend either.
Have you tested it on more than 1 handset? If it’s just the 1 handset you have you could try resetting the network settings to see if it makes a difference.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Good suggestion, I'll try it on my wife's phone (same model) and see if it makes any difference.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Try making a call when connected to another WiFi, friend, neighbour, work, etc. Initially put the phone into airplane mode & then switch WiFi on. Then you'll be sure you're actually using WiFi. That should tell you if the issue is with the phone or your broadband/router.

Also look for an option in phone settings to prefer WiFi. Some phones will cling on to a very low mobile signal before switching otherwise.

0 Ratings