cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Lease Line

Depends on what you are doing and how many in the household are doing. That 40Mb will be devided between everybody using it.

0 Ratings
Mikee1
Beginner
Message 12 of 19

3 pcs, voip phone, 3 smart tv's, phones and tablets. Usual stuff for a house with 2 kids plus I work from home.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

Did you need/use 350?

I’ve got an 80meg Service but never use anymore than 5 or 6 meg max.
0 Ratings
Mikee1
Beginner
Message 14 of 19

Not sure. I just assume as I use so much connected equipment the more speed the better. Is there a way to check?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 19

@Mikee1 wrote:
Thanks all. It was really to see if max speeds from a cabinet is different between residential and lease. Maybe I'll ask bt business. Sounds like it could be expensive.

Anyone think 40meg is OK. I'm used to 350meg.

If you are running a business, then you would have to go for a BT Business line, as you cannot use a residential line for commercial purposes.

BT Business do provide a better quality of service, with fewer connections allocated to each virtual path, so you are going to see a more consistent speed.

You also get a faster repair service.

The number of devices you describe, would have no issues on a 40Mb connection. The nature of IP, is that data is bursty in nature, and there are plenty of gaps, especially VOIP.

You might need to use a better router than BT supply, to avoid deterioration in VOIP calls.

I doubt you could actually achieve 350Mb throughput on your VM line, and by its nature, you would be lucky to get 5Mb upload speed, as their network was designed for delivering TV, which does not require much upload.

Sage
Sage
Message 16 of 19

Gaming, web browsing, facebook etc use very little bandwidth. Streaming will push it up a bit dependng on quality 1080p, 720p etc.

Itis file transfers that'll push it, game updates etc.

0 Ratings
Mikee1
Beginner
Message 17 of 19

I do stream movies a fair bit
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 18 of 19

"I doubt you could actually achieve 350Mb throughput on your VM line, and by its nature, you would be lucky to get 5Mb upload speed, as their network was designed for delivering TV, which does not require much upload."

Yes @Keith_Beddoe you are correct about the upload ATM it is abysmal for the download they are offering but to be fair for the past few years money has been invested in their network in preparation for DOCSIS 3.1 being deployed which will be a gamechanger.

As regards attaining 350Mb through a VM line there are many that do as VM overprovide most likely so they always score well with SamKnows.

Here's a screen grab of my friends connection who consistantly gets 55Mb from his 50Mb service.

2018-10-22 21_29_15-Hub 3.0.png

The problem with VM is when congestion rears it's head, it takes months to resolve but expect all that to change when upgrades are complete and the switch to DOCSIS 3.1 happens.

MODS sorry to talk about another provider but I had to correct Kieth to be fair.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 19 of 19

@Mikee1 wrote:
I do stream movies a fair bit

You should still be OK.

0 Ratings