cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Leaving BT

I'm trying to change away from BT. All the other providers are telling me they can't take over my line as there is some sort of hold in it by BT. O phone BT and they say it's not their problem. Apparently all the other ISPs systems are wrong. Coincidence. How do I get away from BT? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Leaving BT

are you still within your fixed term contract or has you fixed term ended and you are on rolling monthly contract?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

My contract has finished.njust paying month to month now.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Have you always been with BT , or did you move to BT from someone else , if you were with someone else how did BT migrate your service ?
If other providers cannot or will not migrate your connection,  you could always ask them to provide a new connection  ( so two connections into the property ) and then simply cease your BT service once the new service is in and working , obviously this will  be a little more expensive paying for 2 services for a short period , but would get the job done ,  this obviously wouldn’t be any good if you want or need to keep your existing landline phone number, 

If you can survive with no landline for a short while ( and just use a mobile for example)  , just cease BT , then order with someone else once the BT service is ‘switched off’.

If there is a problem migrating , then at the very least , you need to ask the ‘new’ provider what the issue is , because at the moment the explanation you have been given is way too vague to be of any use, bluntly if you want a new provider and they can’t or won’t migrate you , then that’s not really the losing providers problem, with one possible exception, if they tell you the actual reason , it may be something your current provider can resolve,  but unless the new provider  tell you the reason for being unable to migrate you , you cannot ask BT to check .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I've been with BT for 10years +

Ive a feeling this issue is down to me ordering fttp, then cancelling. Somehow their glitch in the system is now my problem.

I asked another provide to do what you suggested. They waved the openreach engineer cost. The BT guy even lied to me saying I could cease BT line then get another provider to take over the next day... As if.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If you ordered and cancelled FTTP , then that may well have changed your wholesale address records to show FTTP existing, and if you are trying to get a copper pair based services provided, ( if there is a stop sale of copper products on your exchange ) you won’t be able to get them, even if your copper pair service is still working with BT because you cancelled the FTTP order ‘mid flight’.

If you are committed to leaving , see my earlier suggestions, get a second line and cease the first .

FWIW , you could ask the new provider to expedite their ‘new line’ provide order ( if you cease BT in the first place rather than going for a second line )  and Openreach then don’t need the usual lead times , same day may as the cease may be optimistic, next day isn’t ridiculous, but that would need the new provider to pay OR the extra costs for an expedited order , and they probably won’t want to pay the extra .

FWIW , I don’t think BT have lied .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@joebhoywrote:

The BT guy even lied to me saying I could cease BT line then get another provider to take over the next day... As if.

Definitely possible, it's known as a sub order I think, can only be done with FTTP though.

Switching providers is gaining led, it's down to your new provider to resolve the order issues, if they explain why then it will help you, it might be an ORDI issue but it could just be the new providers have little experience or knowledge with FTTP, although the technology isn't new, many providers have only just started selling it and some still don't.

0 Ratings