cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
colleen0786
Message 1 of 4

Left with no internet after upgrading to BT Inifinty 2

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place...

After receiving notification from Digital Scotland that fibre was available in my area, I placed an order, to upgrade from ADSL, with an activation date of Friday 5th May. Following this, I was left with no connection - an engineer came to visit my property on 9th May. Still no resolution, the engineer informed me I couldn't receive VDSL as I am on an EO line. I can understand this but surely all the checkers cannot be wrong? The Openreach and Wholesale checkers against my telephone number and postcode / address confirmed I am connected to cabinet 49 (situated on the exchange grounds and visible from my property). Excepting this I called to reinstate the ADSL line. A fault was raised, BT called me on 12th May leaving a voicemail explaining it's my equipment that's faulty. Following numerous more calls to BT with them saying there had been an outage in our area (largest city in Scotland....really?!) they finally admitted the fault is with them, they arranged for another engineer to come out to my property on the 16th May. I was then called and told that I didn't need to be in the property as the fault was with the exchange/cabinet. Tuesday came and went, no broadband - no fix. Numerous more calls to BT, everyone saying they'll help us - it was raised with the "CANT 3" team - dedicated resource Sadie, who was taking it as a priority - so much so, she called me at 730pm on a Friday night when I was out (after leaving i left two voicemails - one at 1pm and one at 4pm) and told us she doesn't work over weekends....dedicated team. 

To top it all off I receive a bill from BT for the calls made to their numbers and for the non-existent VDSL service.

BT – is this how you treat people by selling products you cannot deliver then proceed to charge them for it?

2 calls were made to reinstate the ADSL service. I have raised numerous complaints. Even by BT’s  ‘code of practice’ they have not been dealt with appropriately. They told me it would take 5 days to reconnect, about 13 days ago!!!

The irony – I have a brother-in-law who works for Openreach. He offered to help. His conclusion. You are connected to Cabinet 49 and the fault lay with the pairing from the exchange to the cabinet.

I have taken my business elsewhere. Raised a complaint to OFCOM and will be contacting both Digital Scotland and Nicola Sturgeon - who happens to be the local councillor for my area. I have started to inform the resident’s in my block. Thankfully, there is an option to register interest with other providers to instigate FTTP with speeds that leave BT in the Victorian ages – where they belong.

Advice to anyone thinking of using BT. Simply put – don’t.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Left with no internet after upgrading to BT Inifinty 2

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach (A BT Group Business) who work for all Service Providers apart from Virgin Media. BT Retail do not get any special treatment.

Unless you have moved to a provider that does not use Openreach, the fault is still going to be there.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Is your brother in law an Openreach Engineer who has physically proved your line does route through the new PCP or did he just look on the DSL checker or your line routing on CSS because it contradicts what the first Engineer says.

Just because a computer says your line is it doesn't necessarily make it so. The information on a computer is only as good as the person who put it on there.

I've no doubt your line should route through this new PCP but it's more than likely the Contractors tasked with doing it probably missed out the cable your line routes through, it wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last time!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@colleen0786 wrote:

........  Nicola Sturgeon - who happens to be the local councillor for my area.-

That should please Sturgeon,who is an MSP not a local councillor however you do have her abilties about righ or even a bit over inflated. Smiley Very Happy 

0 Ratings