cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Line Dropping/ Speed reducing

I've had no problems since having Fibre 250 installed around September 2020 until around 2 months ago (late March) since when I've been getting "ERROR_NO_CARRIER" messages, firstly around once a week, then more recently daily, eventually with dropping of line speed. Three weeks ago my usual d/l speed of 265MBit/s dropped under my guaranteed 150MBit/s so I raised a call via My BT, which came back as Fault fixed after a few days.  Nothing changed. My speed continued to drop so I raised another call, this time using the text service. An engineer visit was arranged  and he came, said he could see there was an issue but didn't know what it was, replaced the terminators in the grey box outside the house and reset the line.  Speed was back up to 265MBit/s. However, the almost daily disconnect has continued and I'm now down to 125MBit/s (again under my guaranteed speed). Generally the disconnects have been between 01:00 and 05:00, but tonight occurred around 22:00.  

I've done the usual stuff of disconnecting everything at my end, including from the phone line (DECT phone and Sky+ box), but still it drops, therefore I'm sure it's either my Smart Hub 2 (the drops seemed to start not long after a f/w update on 21st March, but are still here after another update last week) or the incoming line (somewhere). Although I believe FTTP is listed at my cabinet (Chelmsford, No72) I'm not offered the chance to upgrade as one way of fixing this.

So, is there any way I can get this fixed properly (swapping wires in cabinet or whatever can be done) and permanently ? I really would like to get back to the reliability I used to have and the speeds which I increasingly need for leisure and work as I won't be returning to an office anytime soon. If I need to post Call refs, logs from Hub, etc, please let me know what is wanted, and what to do with them.  

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Line Dropping/ Speed reducing

If you don't have digital voice service then do a quiet line test. 17070 option 2, best with corded phone but may get a dull background hum with cordless.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Ah, sorry, I forgot to mention that - I've done one of those - no clicks, pops, crackles or anything other than the expected low level of white noise.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

The only expected thing is silence.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for replying quickly - I've been out to Argos to buy a cheap analogue phone - silence.
I think the white noise is inherent in the Panasonic DECT phone I used first time around, not the line.

(I've blanked out the SSID)

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2
Serial number1841094654
Fireware versionv0.26.04.04227-BT (Thu Apr 22 11:37:40 2021)
Board versionR01
GUI version1.74 12_11_2020
DSL uptime0 days 12 Hours 19 Mins 21 Secs
Data rate49.0 Mbps / 149.0 Mbps
Maximum Data rate50.5 Mbps / 233.5 Mbps
Noise margin3.1/7.1
Line attenuation0.0/33.5
Signal attenuation0.0/33.5
VLAN id101
Upstream error controlOff
Downstream error controlOff
Data sent / received292.2 MB Uploaded / 2.1 GB Downloaded
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-FiNot active
2.4 GHz wireless network nameXXXXXXXXXX
2.4 GHz wireless channelChannel: 1
5 GHz wireless network nameXXXXXXXXXX
5 GHz wireless channelChannel: 44
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless modeMode 1
FirewallOn
MAC address44:FE:3B:13:44:4E
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Just a quick addition. I've now raised another call on this and spoke to a very helpful man at BT who is arranging for an Openreach engineer visit.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Let us know what the engineer finds.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Will do
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Well he visited, ran a speed test from his Thinkpad (via ethernet) which read the same as I'd been receiving on the BTW test. He restarted the hub a few times and did a factory reset. Then he said as I was over my guaranteed speed there's nothing more he could do. He was a BT engineer, not Openreach.

At this point the line speed had again reduced, to around 190Mbit (it was 200 before he came), with it having been 265MBit /s before the line drops started to occur. My quoted "typical" speed is 240MBit/s. This is around 30% drop off - a significant amount.

I got another ERROR-NO_CARRIER around 21:30 tonight and am now down to around 120MBit/s.  As I was awake I know there were no devices switching on or off in the house and all the street lights were on, none of them turned off so I am unaware of a source of interference that could be causing it. If there is one, it's not visible to me. I'm connected to the cabinet via underground cable if that matters.

So, what do I do now ? I've not yet tried claiming my £20 refund for it going below my guaranteed speed, what I really want is the issue fixing.  The service desk people are friendly and efficient, but they aren't able to fix it, neither does it seem a BT engineer can.  What do I need to do to escalate this to someone who can help ? 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

I see that BT have closed my original call as closed by customer when actually it was engineer didn't show up, and opened a new call at that time  which now says no fault found and is ready for closure tomorrow.  

There is a fault and I am now below my guaranteed line speed as a result.

How do I challenge the closure and get the call(s)  reactivated and dealt with properly ?

Do I need to contact a moderator, and if so how ?

Thanks for any help/advice.

0 Ratings