cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Line Drops Periodically

At some point every day for a few minutes, I lose the Internet on whatever device I might be using at the time and then realise that the hub is showing the broadband light. This can last up to five minutes before the hub goes through the 'start up cycle' and the blue light returns.

I reluctantly contacted BT Friday afternoon. As expected I was met by a stonewall of scripted answers and after 45 minutes it was left that all my devices were faulty or I needed to change to channel 6 on the 2.4GHz frequency and channel 44 on the 5GHZ frequency. Line checks apparently revealed there had been no disconnections between my hub and the exchange in the last 5 days and it was definitely my problem and not a fault with the hub or the line. 

I'm afraid I fail to see how all our devices can have exactly the same fault at exactly the same time. I also fail to see how the FACT that the hub lights change to red or the broadband light is on is a wireless problem or a wireless channel fault.

However, I suppose I must put up and shut up as BT never have faults do they.

I'll just sit back to and continue to pay the ever increasing charges and expect to get a worse service in return

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Message 2 of 13

Re: Line Drops Periodically

@MagicCottage I'm sorry about the problems with your connection dropping out and the difficulty you had with the helpdesk. It clearly doesn't sound like a wireless issue if the hub is going through the start up cycle, there can be a several reasons for drop outs. The most common problems are linked to faults with the BT network, damaged or poor quality home wiring, and faulty broadband equipment.

Does this happen at the same time everyday or is it random and have you noticed if the drop happens when something electical is switched on or on a timer?

Try the checks on this trouble shooter and let me know how you get on.

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Had the same problem for months with HH5, was told to check my devices and I had too many connected. After checking these forums it was suggested that connecting a hg612 modem to the HHB5 stops the disconnects and guess what it does. Not had a disconnect since i attached the hg612.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

No, the dropouts are completely random. Had one this afternoon around 15:10, lasted about 3 minutes. Don't have any timers on anything and there wouldn't have been anything switching on/off at that time. I was actually surfing at the time on my tablet and a page came up telling me the hub wasn't connected to broadband with a picture of the hub itself. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new  filter to eliminate your internal wiring as causing the problem?

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Welcome to my world.

One month in and no resolution except for BT blaming it on everything my end. I'd suggest trying what they said about the modem though - it's made mine a little better but still far from impressive

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

I fail to see the necessity of running around buying a new modem however cheap that may be to correct what I see as a faulty hub or BT issue further down the line. 

Further, I'm unable to carry out any wirred speedtests as all my devices connect via wifi and finally we have no phone connected to the landline, we only get time wasters.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

A cheap wired telephone about £5 from Argos can pay for itself. With drops in connection you need to eliminate line noise caused by your internal wiring or setup otherwise if you get engineer visit and problem is in your home wiring and/or setup then you will get charged £129.99 for the engineer callout.  It also makes it possible to check if you have a dialtone as with that your broadband will not work or if one of the 2 wires is still connected then no phone but your broadband can still work on 1 albeit slowly

bt wil not accept download speed problems unless you carry out the btspeedtester with a wired connection as there are to many possible causes of interference when you use a wireless conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

I'm sorry for sounding like an old grouch but all this sounds like the same tired old excuses for charging loads of money for a system that is basically broken. Always blame the customers set-up come what may, it can't possibly be a naff hub can it. 

I really can't be bothered to keep running test after test only to be told the same old things, that it's my devices that are broken nothing to do with BT or it's equipment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

It's up to you to prove the "system" is broken. If you decide not to, then you have to accept that if the fault is found to be caused by something in your home, which is your responsibility, then you will be charged £129.99.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’