cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Line capped - How long does fixing a fault take?

Hi there, in our flat we have had BT broadband for two and a half years almost with no problems. Recently our contract ended and after discussions with BT we decided on BT Halo 1.

About a month later, I noticed that our download speed was always capped at 3.3Mb/s, so I started investigating, suspecting that our line has been capped. Our router shows good synchronisation figures (I've seen up to 66Mbps on "Maximum Data Rate") but the field "Data Rate" is always capped around 29Mbps. 

After raising a fault I called BT at the ends of July and spoke with a person who arranged for an engineer to visit on the 12th of August. The engineer came and after checking the line and he said "your line has been capped". He changed the BT outlet to a new one and left ,saying that he would report this and it would get fixed fast. 

Since I received two SMS from BT saying that my line is now fixed but seen no change on my line, I called BT last Friday 14th of August. Spoke to a person who confirmed that my line has been capped and that on Monday (yesterday) I would receive a call from BT to inform me about progress.

Of course no call from BT ever took place and my line is still capped - while my payments to BT are not...... How long does it usually take for these kind of faults to get fixed? What should I do now? 

It's been now a month like this, and while the line is steady, I'm not getting the speeds I should and pay for while the line is perfectly capable of achieving double the speed.w

Thank you in advance for any rensponses.

Tags (5)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Line capped - How long does fixing a fault take?

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thank for your response.

Unfortunately I do not have a handset to do the test, we do not use one at all.

Stats below:

BTstats.JPGBTstats1.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You line has not been capped, what has happened is DLM has taken action in an attempt to stabalise your line due to the fault. Now that the fault has cleard DLM shoild automatically raise your speed. Your connection time is only 5 days so there's still time for DLM to relent.

As log as your connection stays table for the next few days all shpuld be OK. We don't know if you have any noise on your line though as you don't have a handset. This is the simplest of diagnostic tools available and for the sake of less than £10 for a cheap handset well worth the price.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

According to dslchecker results you had a 45mb connection speed on 15 June so were you using experiencing drops in connection which is why you had engineer visit.

as @pippincp  posted your drop in speed was due to DLM and not need to wait until it sees line stable and starts to increase speed. You need to avoid and resets  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I see, many thanks for looking into this. 

I will wait then and report back, was completely unaware of DLM's existence. For my education, which part of my screenshots made you realise the above? Was it the "VDSL Range B (Impacted)" ?

I will try to get my hands on a handset if I do not see any change in the coming days and will report progress.

Thank you for your help both!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

You Noise Margin is what suggests DLM has taken action. Would be happier if you could check to make sure no noise on the line though.

0 Ratings