Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 31

Line dropping every couple of days

Go to solution
Hi All,

Not sure what’s been happening but every couple of days recently my line has dropped and also the speed with it.

Not much has changed as I’m away at the moment but these are the stats below. Any obvious reasons why? Plugged into master socket but the internal cable is quite long. Cabinet is outside my front window. What’s the max cable length you’d use indoors?

Stats
DSL uptime: 0 Days, 21 Hours 38 Minutes 24 Seconds
Data rate: 17.04 Mbps / 49.68 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 17169 / 59892
Noise margin: 9 dB / 9 dB
Line attenuation: 18.6 dB
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 31

Re: Line dropping every couple of days

Go to solution

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution
Thanks for the advice. I'm away at the moment so will follow these steps when I get back. I can confirm there is no extension wiring as BT put in a new socket a few weeks back when we moved in. I was surprised that it didn't have the splitter built in like the one I had installed a couple of years back at a different property 
0 Ratings
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution
So reading around it would seem the noise margin and line attenuation are good is that correct?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

A speedtest through the Home Hub is showing a 15mb upload. Does this mean I likely got the speed boost to infinity 2?

39D59C9F-5CA9-4046-B7AA-129096F2685B.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution

your noise margin is high at9db as normal is about 6db so if noise margin was nearer normal then your actual speed would be closer to attainable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution
Thanks, do you know the answer regarding upgrade to Infinity 2 speeds?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

you have been upgraded to infinity 2 speeds but your line is not capable of more than max attainable.  just because you are now on infinity 2 speeds all that did was remove the cap for infinity 1  but you cannot get faster than your line can handle

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

Sure I understand.

The line can certainly handle more, just likely a fault in place. Going to get someone to move to the test socket later today.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

Go to solution

bear in mind that constantly resettting the router will have a detrimental effect on your conenction  hopefully connecting to test socket may show some improvement

0 Ratings