cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Line speed slowing down gradually over the last week.

Is it possible to get the line speed reset. Nothing in my home has changed, and this is starting to get old as we have do this dance every year.

I usually have a line speed of 21xxxKbps.  However I noticed that my board band was slower than usual about two weeks ago.  So I logged into to my router and checked the line speed. It was at exactly 19000kbps.  

Today I logged in again and checked the line speed. This time it had fallen to exactly 18000kbps.  

These exact numbers look too perfect for the line to have magically decided this was the best speed it could obtain.  The upload speed is unchanged at 3210kbps (since the last BT callout). 

I have this issue every year with BT, last year over a three week period the download speed dropped to 4000Kbps. The last time the BT Engineer showed up, I did state that I was expecting the upload speed to be slightly greater than 3500Kbps. However he said that's not what BT offer, and there was clearly no point arguing the point with him over 200Kbps.

VDSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 18000 Kbps 3210 Kbps
Line Attenuation D0( 25.2) D1( 74.9) D2(N/A) dB U0( 6.6) U1( 60.6) U2( 66.0) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB
Noise Margin D0( 9.3) D1(N/A) D2(N/A) dB U0( 8.8) U1( 6.1) U2(N/A) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB

VDSL2 Profile Profile 17a
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Line speed slowing down gradually over the last week.

VDSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 18000 Kbps 3210 Kbps
Line Attenuation D0( 25.2) D1( 74.9) D2(N/A) dB U0( 6.6) U1( 60.6) U2( 66.0) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB
Noise Margin D0( 9.3) D1(N/A) D2(N/A) dB U0( 8.8) U1( 6.1) U2(N/A) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB
VDSL2 Profile Profile 17a
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

If your connection speed is dropping then your router is dropping connection suggesting there is a problem with your connection.  your abbreviated stats do not show internet connection time (not system time) but I would expect that to be very short

can you enter you phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

can you check line for noise   dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and preferably with corded phone from test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

Thank you, for your prompt reply, and the appropriate modification to my post.

The uptime right now is 12 hours, as I rebooted the modem last night.  I didn’t check the uptime prior to rebooting. 

The quiet line test, has a slight hiss on it. Nothing I would be concerned about as that could just be the handsets amplifier circuitry. 

Exchange DUSTON is served by Cabinet 1

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper
 HighLowHighLow    
VDSL Range A (Clean) 19.514.22.71.212.1AvailableAvailable--
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 19.212.72.70.98.8AvailableAvailable--

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)Downstream Range (Mbps)Availability DateFTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand33030--Available--

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate (Mbps)Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)ADSL Availability DateWBC SOADSL Availability DateLeft in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 9 -- 7 to 11AvailableAvailable--
WBC ADSL2+ Annex MUp to 9 Up to 1 7 to 11AvailableAvailable--
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5 -- 4 to 8AvailableAvailable--
WBC Fixed Rate-- --AvailableAvailable--
Fixed Rate-- --Available----

Observed SpeedsVDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed15.99
Max Observed Upstream Speed3.28
Observed Date19/03/2021

Other OfferingsAvailability Date
VDSL MulticastAvailable
ADSL MulticastAvailable

Premise EnvironmentStatus
Bridge TapN
VRIN
NTE FacePlateN
Last Test Date18/03/2021

Exchange Product RestrictionsStatus
FTTP Priority ExchangeN
WLR WithdrawalN
SOADSL RestrictionY
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

any noise on quiet line test is a problem for broadband.  I would check from test socket and see if noise/hiss still there and if so report phone fault to 150 (a dull hum is normal for cordless phone)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, 

I’ll give them a call. You can delete this thread if you like.  I’m sure they will sort it out. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

As you are well within the range shown by the checker I doubt they'll do anything.

0 Ratings