cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jammmmmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 71 of 314

Re: List of Routers to replace Home Hub 3.

Out of curiousity, if money wasn't an issue, which router out of these would you choose for gaming, long range wifi and overal connectivity?

- Netgear WNDR4500

- Asus RT-N66U

- Linksys EA4500

Or any other good routers that fit the bill 😉

Also, out of those three, which manufactuer has the best customer service?

0 Ratings
lowei
Expert
Message 72 of 314

@Jammmmmy wrote:

Out of curiousity, if money wasn't an issue, which router out of these would you choose for gaming, long range wifi and overal connectivity?

- Netgear WNDR4500

- Asus RT-N66U

- Linksys EA4500

Or any other good routers that fit the bill 😉

Also, out of those three, which manufactuer has the best customer service?

If money wasn't the issue i would consider this one when it comes out next month Netgear R6300 WiFi Router

0 Ratings
martpu
Expert
Message 73 of 314

Just a heads up boys but my WNDR4500 was delivered on Saturday and I've yet to see any noticeable differences between this and the HH3 except for one thing.  My upload speed on the 4500 has dropped significantly!

The funny thing is, it only happens via the vmspeed.com test site.  On the HH3, the vm test was giving me an upload speed of around 14-15mb.  With the 4500 that drops to 4-5mb?!

Put the HH3 back in and back up to 14-15mb?!

Did a Google search on 'WNDR4500 upload issue' and found a couple of forums where there does appear to be an upload problem with this particular model but some people have said their speeds are fine so seems to be hit and miss (trust me to be one of the unlucky ones!).  Apparently a firmware update was meant to have fixed it but I downloaded the latest firmware as soon as I set up the router but this didn't do anything for me.

As such, I'm going to send mine back to Amazon for a refund and may just decide to keep the HH3 or replace it for the WNDR3700.

Didn't see any noticeable wireless improvement either btw and boy is this one whopper of a router!!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Quinny01
Contributor
Message 74 of 314

Had all of these and the Netgear is by far the best and the one I'm using at the moment.... Asus are usually fast at upgrading firmware and a regular basis but by far Netgear have the better quality hardware.
0 Ratings
Jammmmmy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 314

I missed that one lowei, looks very good. Can't wait till that's released haha and thats very weird Martpu. I normally see everyone complaining about the HH3.
0 Ratings
martpu
Expert
Message 76 of 314

@Jammmmmy wrote:
I missed that one lowei, looks very good. Can't wait till that's released haha and thats very weird Martpu. I normally see everyone complaining about the HH3.

I know mate!  Not complaining about the 4500 though fella.  Apart from this upload hitch everything was working as it should but I obviously can't justify paying £118 for a router that in theory, due to the upload issue, is inferior to the HH3.

In fairness, I've not really had many issues with the HH3 so I guess, like anything, it's a bit hit and miss on whether you get a good one or not.  I just thought I'd try the 4500 after all the good reviews but sadly, at least in my case, that probably wasn't the best idea.

But this upload issue is only affected when using vmspeed.com.  When I use bbmax it's absolutely fine.

Bizarre!?!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Eipilice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 77 of 314

Cheers, and both will work as a replacement for the homehub3?
0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 78 of 314

TP-Link WR1043ND running fine on my system.

I had only 2/5 bars signal strength on my wireless laptop (in the bedroom) with the HH3.

Now I get 5/5 bars with this little beauty.

I bought it in FNAC on a recent trip to Belgium for 43EU (£36)

The EU price seems generally to be about a tenner cheaper than UK for some reason.

0 Ratings
M4NN4
Beginner
Message 79 of 314

Guys I have had my Infinity 2 setup today and so far everything seems good but I hate having a separate modem as I have enough wires and power plugs to connect to the socket. Plus I have the Virgin Superhub right next to BT's kit and the Superhub has the modem built in.

Would it be possible to buy a router with a modem built in and use it in instead of the Home Hub and the Open Reach Modem?

If so can someone please suggest a cheap one? I'm currently getting 65Mbps down with 16Mbps up so a Router/Modem with the ability to handle 100Mbps + would be ideal for a little future proofing.

If it's going to cost a few fingers then I might as well just stick with the current setup and hope that I don't run in to any issues with the Home Hub that I keep hearing about.

Cheers

0 Ratings
liam250250
Message 80 of 314

Hi

I recently got bt infinity 2 and got the hh3 type b version and it wont let me port forward it just doesn't open the ports, but strangle enough first time I tried it it worked but anyway I want to get a cheap router which will replace the hh3 but I will keep the existing modem but I just wanted to know will this one work http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR1043ND-Ultimate-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B002YETVTQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pro... 

thanks

0 Ratings