cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 141 of 314

Re: List of Routers to replace Home Hub 3.

I'm lookling to replace my HH3 as my Galaxy S3 keeps loosing wifi to it.

The netgears seem popular, but expensive.

How are the Buffalo routers ? anyother options upto £50 ??

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 142 of 314

Its not just the HH that has problems with Samsung Android phones, though S3 seem most prevailent. Happens with Draytek 2750 as well and certain Android phones. The wireless dropping issue, I have found is due to the S3 (and other Android phones) consuming all the DHCP leases. It is something to do with wireless dropping and getting a new DHCP address. Eventually router runs out of DHCP addresses and phone looses wireless connection.  All other wireless devices appear OK.

Solution is to get a better phone (iPhone no problem) and/or on HH (and other routers) set the "Always use this IP address" in Home Network -> Devices for the S3. Can't remember the Drayek 2750 setting, but similar. Can also reduce the lease time on 2750 to stop visitors with Android phones taking all the DHCP leases.

Its is only certain makes and certain manufacturers Android phones do this. Once sorted phones connect 100% of the time and don't ruin the wireless network for other users.

0 Ratings
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 143 of 314

Hi

My S3 has a static IP Address and DHCP is disabled on the HH3, so I don't think that is the issue.

Any recommendations for a £50.00 replacement for the HH3 ? VPN termination would be nice, but not vital !

0 Ratings
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 144 of 314

@MadPanther wrote:

Hi

My S3 has a static IP Address and DHCP is disabled on the HH3, so I don't think that is the issue.

No always the case, I had a screen shot somewhere of the same Android phone having taken 15 DHCP addresses (all in active) and one fixed that it was currently using. Real pain as other wireless devices can't connect as between them two phones had take all the DHCP addresses.

0 Ratings
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 145 of 314

Nothing on my network is doing DHCP. The phone has a static address and looking at it's diags that is all it has.

As there is nothing doing DHCP I can't she how it could do this anyway.

I think this may have been firmware related with the S3, since upgrading to 4.1.2 this morning the wireless hasn't dropped  once.

0 Ratings
angelus073
Message 146 of 314

Decided to take the plunge and upgrade my router. The home hub 3 was okay but for streaming it was a bit patchy and would get drop outs at the far end of the house.

Was getting 69.8 D/L and 17.96 U/L on the router wired and okay speed over wireless. Put in a Netgear R6300 and got a hike in Wireless performance but also got an unexpected hike in wired. Now testing at a constant 74.2 D/L and 18.51 U/L.

Glad I upgraded it just has a much more solid feel round the house. Was an easy process as well took 10 minutes  to switch it over.

0 Ratings
Gizmo99
Contributor
Message 147 of 314

I have used

Netgear WNDR3700

Netgear WNDR6300

Draytek 2750n

All work

BUT

Some new services will not work today on any of the above, only the Home Hub 3

Giz  

0 Ratings
Colan59
Contributor
Message 148 of 314

Gizmo99

I have used Netgear WNDR3700 for months now without a blip unlike the nightmare I had with HH3.

What new services are you talking about that will not work?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Gizmo99
Contributor
Message 149 of 314

Multicast support 

3700 has no support for IGMP at all (my work horse too since infinity delivered)

The 6300 says it does but no it doesn't

The 2750n today nearly but not quite

The HH3 yep all works even on old firmware 

AS i say they all work today, but tomorrow with new services ...................

0 Ratings
brianzion
Aspiring Expert
Message 150 of 314

hi just a quick question we are having bt infinity option 2 installed and wish to no if this router is compatible to use with the open reach modem.  EDIMAX BR-6675nD  http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=355&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=18

0 Ratings