cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 314

Re: List of Routers to replace Home Hub 3.

Here is a nice looking replacement for the HomeHub for Infinity users.

Netgear DHH1000 Dual-WAN ADSL2+ Wireless-N Digital Home Hub & Fibre Router (300Mbps)DHH1000-Product-Image-Large73-17823.png

Dect base station

FXS for analog phones (2 lines

Voip

2x USB ports

No price available yet but should be out soon, looks snazzy and pricey, but comes with the Netgear name which is a plus . 

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 314

Re: List of Routers to replace Home Hub 3. NETGEAR ProSafe SRXN3205 works

@Ripsta wrote:

am i the only person that thinks it bang out of order that we should have to pay major £££££ to replace the sub standard equiptment they are providing ?????????

I myself still go back to the HH3 every so often and mine is still the original one from Broadband option3 , still works okay as do the vast majority of HHubs. Yes it might not suit everyone, or meet everyones needs.

I would much rather pay for my own equipment anyway and keep the price of broadband down. In saying that, you do not have to pay major £££££ as you say. You can get adequate equipment (Router) in the £30-£40 bracket, and you can also pay £200. Its horses for courses.

You can walk or buy a secondhand car, or spend a bit more on a New city type car, or if you want to be flash you can buy a Rolls .

Myself , I would rather not have any equipment, pay less for the broadband and then purchase something that is suitable for my needs

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
TheSeeKer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 314

Re: List of Routers to replace Home Hub 3. NETGEAR ProSafe SRXN3205 works

I'd be interested to know what speed you're getting after changing the modem. 

My HH2 keeps rebooting, so to prove its the HH2 before I involve support I dug out and old cable modem I had in the loft (Netgear FR114P).  Also linked an old Netgeear DGN2000 to get wireless Smiley Happy 

Works fine (no rebooting now), but the line speed has dropped to around 11 Mbps. FR114P is running 100Mbps to the Broadband hub so its not that.

0 Ratings
JimmyJetset
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 314

I'm using the Netgear WNDR3700 at the moment and have also tried Airport Extreme. But I am finding that my download speeds are almost half what I can achieve with the HH3.

Has anyone else noticed this at all? With the HH3 I can get regular speeds of 4-4.5 MB/s but with either of the other I max out at about 2-2.5 MB/s.

If I switch back to the HH3 immediately, i.e. at the same time of the day (so no throttling issues coming from different times), then the speed is maxed out again.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 314

hiltonsteve wrote in THIS THREAD.

"Netgear WNDR3400 router. I plugged it into my laptop to set it up first of all, this meant doing the following -

a) Putting the router back to the factory default settings.

b ) Connecting it to the Infinty modem using the RJ45 cable.

c) Running the smart setup wizard on the netgear router interface which detected that it was a PPOE connection and set the relevant settings in the router, it asked for a username which I used 'bthomehub@btinternet.com'. Saved the settings and then rebooted the modem then the router.

d) Once rebooted the internet light on the front of the router came on telling me that I was connected to the internet.

e) Disconnected the RJ45 cable from my laptop and connected the router using wireless.

Whole process took about 10 mins!

I then did a speed test again using speedtest.net and the speed was back up to 40 meg down and 10 meg up. Happy days again!"

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 314

@PC wrote:

It might be helpful to have a list of routers in one thread, that people have succesfully replaced the HH3 for whatever reason.

I hope Rottie won't mind me starting the list off with one of his "known to work" from msg #2 in THIS THREAD.

Netgear WNR3500L

Any others?.... if none then my great idea has proven to adopt the flight profile of a lead balloon.

PC,

If you would like to make up a list of suitable routers, I can put it on my website if it makes it any easier.

You can just PM me with any updates. It may be easier than a long thread.

Would that be any help?

Keith

0 Ratings
Venom
Contributor
Message 27 of 314

JimmyJetset,

With the Netegar Wndr3700 try making sure you are using WPA2-PSK, your wireless mode is set to the highest setting and tick the box that says Enable WMM under the QOS part of the router.  Some pc's somehow do not get the full speed unless WMM in enabled.

I had that problem on my Dell laptop, I enabled WMM but didnt tick the other options below that like 'turn internet access QOS ON'.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 314

How about this list for a start?    Home Hub 3 Replacements

This has been extracted from this thread and a couple of others.

I can add more to this list if needed.

0 Ratings
Rahat786786
Contributor
Message 29 of 314

I'm on FTTP and using the WNR3500L. I assure you that if you were to move to the 80/20 package, when it is available, the router will handle it no problem. Currently getting full whack 100mbps consistantly; sometimes a bit of a problem with homeplug throughput though but I'm not complaining Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 314

I see that one only supports PPPoE, so I wont add it to the list, as its not the same as the HH3.

0 Ratings