cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deltaflyer
Aspiring Expert
Message 81 of 314

Re: List of Routers to replace Home Hub 3.

just checked the spec sheet & it should work fine with infinity

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free your computer, use opensource
i'm a linux user & very happy about it
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 82 of 314

@M4NN4 wrote:

Guys I have had my Infinity 2 setup today and so far everything seems good but I hate having a separate modem as I have enough wires and power plugs to connect to the socket. Plus I have the Virgin Superhub right next to BT's kit and the Superhub has the modem built in.

Would it be possible to buy a router with a modem built in and use it in instead of the Home Hub and the Open Reach Modem?

If so can someone please suggest a cheap one? I'm currently getting 65Mbps down with 16Mbps up so a Router/Modem with the ability to handle 100Mbps + would be ideal for a little future proofing.

If it's going to cost a few fingers then I might as well just stick with the current setup and hope that I don't run in to any issues with the Home Hub that I keep hearing about.

Cheers

A cheap VDSL2 combined Modem/Router is something your unlikely to find. The Fritzbox and the Draytek are both about £150.00. Untill they start mass producing for the majority prices will remain high.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 83 of 314

I'm waiting on my Netgear R6300 to come i won't get a modem inbuilt into the router my reasoning, No electrical device can give you years of service from being constantly on and with DLM monitoring the modem connection loss/turn off of the modem results in speed loss/IP Profile reduction, I've had a few Netgears in the passed and they do burn out if you work your network hard and keep it switched on as they do get super hot as they are pushing the boundaries unlike the HH3, that's why i'll rather let BT burn out their Openreach modem and just get the replacements until they wise up with an on/off modem that sends a signal to the Fiber cab to tell it it's going night night and when turned back on sends a signal to the cab to tell it i'm back you can monitor DLM on this line again. If the Modem can run 76Mb to 80Mb that's fine it's not going to be a bottle neck IMO.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 84 of 314

@Enigma123 wrote:

I'm waiting on my Netgear R6300 to come i won't get a modem inbuilt into the router my reasoning, No electrical device can give you years of service from being constantly on and with DLM monitoring the modem connection loss/turn off of the modem results in speed loss/IP Profile reduction, I've had a few Netgears in the passed and they do burn out if you work your network hard and keep it switched on as they do get super hot as they are pushing the boundaries unlike the HH3, that's why i'll rather let BT burn out their Openreach modem and just get the replacements until they wise up with an on/off modem that sends a signal to the Fiber cab to tell it it's going night night and when turned back on sends a signal to the cab to tell it i'm back you can monitor DLM on this line again. If the Modem can run 76Mb to 80Mb that's fine it's not going to be a bottle neck IMO.

In my experience, I have to say that every electrical device that I have has in the vast majority of cases worked without any problems. If any device, and that also includes TV's/recorders/fridges./freezers/w/machines and modems/routers are changed, it's because a MECHANICAL part has failed or the equipment is out of date and new equipment offers me more and better options.

You must be extremely unlucky Smiley Sad

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
smartie
Contributor
Message 85 of 314

@Enigma123 wrote:

No electrical device can give you years of service from being constantly on

I've never had a netgear burn out or any router fail on me, my faithful dg834gt is god knows how many years old, was left running 24/7 year after year and it's still going strong, gave it to my bro after upgrading to fibre, components these days are designed to take the heat of having them switched on 24/7, my old sky box is testimony of that, 10 years of being on 24/7, well apart from the odd power cut or moving furniture around lol & I only ditched that box as I upgraded to an hd box.

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 86 of 314

Lol really dg834gt ports have been known to degrade i had this on my last one, Products with CPU's run extremely hot and given that the products haven't got active cooling failure is high, from the words of an openreach coach when the modem first came out we where installing the modems and a week later going back out because they burnt out, But granted they are getting very good at heat dissipation and the post above mine do you really leave your TV on 24,7 these devices aren't comparable to a router totally different well apart from the new Smart Tv's i think i should have worded it router specific Smiley Tongue Still getting my R6300 and turning it off lol

0 Ratings
lowei
Expert
Message 87 of 314

I know the R6300 is a bit buggy at the moment so i have been looking at this one "Western digital N900" which might be great for me as a avid gamer, and it uses FasTrack which automatically analyzes and prioritizes these services to ensure they get the proper bandwidth.

0 Ratings
highlanders
Message 88 of 314

Hi everone

I've just replaced the HH3 with the Netgear WNDR4500 I can now see my Qnap 419p nas drive, a very happy chap.

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 89 of 314

All electrical devices are subject to more stress at the point of switching on or off than at any other time due to the fact that the components have to heat up to working levels of heat everytime they are switched on,and cool down when switched off.

Resistors,capacitors,chips and other components work better if left on as they are not constantly being put under thermal stress.

I am stating this as an electronics engineer,but obviously the subject is a matter of debate.

Heat sinking should be intalled to safeguard the components,but some products fall short in that department.

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 90 of 314

Most systems have soft turn on circuits as appose to pulling that main socket that will introduce voltage spikes which is very bad for electrical devices, CPU as you know work better chilled than hot,i also come from an electronic field service repair and analog/digital granted i went from this out of collage to electrical installation in cars. I haven't seen any router that i have been across with heat sinks but i guess we will do with the ever growing use of faster CPU's,their has got to be a fan assisted unit coming out at some point. This is a similar debate like if you turn off you car to save petrol in traffic it requires more fuel to start it but now we have advance enough that we have stop/start tech, Any way enough about that lets see what other routers we can use as the HH3 for me is pants lol

0 Ratings