cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 33

Re: Location of the internal ONT

Go to solution

The job was finally completed today, but there were good and not so good points. The good points are that I am getting excellent speeds at the router and the finished job is nice and neat. The not so good - they turned up more than an hour earlier than scheduled, so it was lucky I happened to be in, but the worst part is that they only attached the ONT to the wall with one wobbly screw, so I've stuck four little pieces of blu tack on the back and it's now quite firmly fixed to the wall.

Router Automatic Speed Tests.jpgThe Finished Job (1).jpgThe Finished Job (2).jpg

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 33

Go to solution

A good result overall then. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 33

Go to solution

I'm uploading a screenshot from my router's GUI showing how my speeds have increased dramatically since the Plusnet FTTC was terminated on 24th November and then restored by BT on 14th December.

I've also made some improvements to the installation. I needed to make some repairs to the internal wall to make it look a bit better after much changing of internet equipment over the years, so I decided to remove the ONT from the wall, switch it off and cover it up to protect it from dust and paint splashes. Then I set about removing the single wobbly screw that the contractor had used and replacing it with two proper fixings, using rawlplugs, before fixing the ONT back on the wall (I left the blu tack I had used yesterday on the back for extra support), so it's a much better job now I think. Finally, I found a short length of plastic trunking in my loft space, so I've run the most vulnerable part of the fibre optic cable through that, right down to where the underground trunking terminates below the flower bed and being white, it's presence is much more noticeable for when the garden needs any attention. Happy now.

Router Automatic Speed Tests (Last 30 Days).jpgNew Cable Protection (Outdoor).jpg

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 33

Go to solution

That External Fit looks sloppy, I’d have been embarrassed if it was mine.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 33

Go to solution

Yes and the internal fitting was even worse - just one wobbly screw to secure the ONT and without using any rawlplug, so I've had to make the best of a bad job (at least the internal part now is good quality, even if I do say so myself). My immediate neighbour's installation looks even worse by the way; they've managed to break the original cable cover that was put in by the builders about 30 years ago and from what I could see when I glanced at where the cable has entered their front wall, there is either some significant damage to where they have drilled the hole into their lounge or else they have fitted something else on the wall, which looks quite ugly. I meant to take a closer look, but forgot, so I'll try to remember to take a peek tomorrow. Clearly the contractors working round here are not taking sufficient pride in the quality of their work, but it's not the first time I've had this sort of thing happen.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 33

Go to solution

This is my immediate neighbour's installation.

Neighbour's FTTP Installation (1).jpgNeighbour's FTTP Installation (2).jpg

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 33

Go to solution
Ye gods!
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 28 of 33

Go to solution

I'd advise your neighbour to contact Openreach about his install.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach/complaints-policy 

"To raise a complaint, or enquiry, that relates to health and safety concerns, employee behaviour, personal injury, damage to your property, quality of workmanship, wayleaves or planned movement of Openreach equipment. You can contact us through our chat facility. Just click on the icon in the bottom right corner of the screen and select the 'others' option and then 'contact us' to get started."

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 33

Go to solution

That’s what most experienced Openreach Engineers would call, ‘Top Notch’.

Glad I’m out of that job now, was sick of following round people like that and clearing up their mess.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 33

Go to solution

I've carried out some improvement work to the external job and although it's not perfect, I think it's better than how it was left by the subcontractor (as shown in my original photograph).

Screenshot - 03_01_2022 , 13_35_09.jpg

0 Ratings