cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxwell
Message 1 of 11

Looking for Help Area has fibre, just not me.

Hey, 

I am pulling my hair out here and I feel like I am talking to a wall when speaking to SKY, who have palmed me off and said ask BT "We just rent the lines of them". 

I live in a developed area in Shrewsbury, on a road where according to the open reach fibre checks every single property on my road including my neighbour has the ability to order super fast fibre.  https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre - postcode SY1 3DU

I and my neighbours are attached to the same pole and the same cabinet. They all have FTTP we don't, we moved into the house a few months ago and have had to struggle with download speeds lower than 1mb, so much so I bring all electronics to work to update them which is a nuisance, its 2018 for christ sake. One potential issue I could think that has contributed is that the house was empty for a few months due to the previous owners, my inlaws, passing away. Can't see why but its the only negative variable I can pinpoint.

No one cares when I call them they all just say, oh you can't have fibre our system says so. Not bothered or even inquisitive to the fact a whole area/road has the access other than us. As the area is finished I just feel we are going to be trapped alone with internet that feels like it gets slower every day. 

Any experience or relateable help would be amazing. We are both young and love the internet yet we are being excluded by systematic failures from both companies and also infrastructure. 

HELP! 

M

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Looking for Help Area has fibre, just not me.

who is your ISP - SKY or BT?

if SKY enter address and if BT enter phone number  remember and delete  before posting  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Sky is wrong, its Openreach that provide the network. Sky chose not to sell FTTP.

There are a few FTTP providers, including BT Retail, so you would have to choose one, and place an order, provided you are not still in a contract with Sky.

CJT80
Expert
Message 4 of 11

@maxwell

For conformation you can use the DSL Checker Here and select the Address Checker option from the bottom, enter your postcode and select your address. 

FTTP (as advised by @Keith_Beddoe) is ONLY available via selected ISP's and SKY is not one of them. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
maxwell
Message 5 of 11

When I look on the BT site it also says I cannot have fibre. What route would I take to get this FTTP sorted? Why on earth did everyone else get it, seemingly for free? My elderly neighbour doesn't even have internet yet has FTTP?

Is there a case for OFCOM here? Me paying for something that others, over 100 properties on my road, have had for free is absurd.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 6 of 11

@maxwell

did you follow the link I gave you and select your address?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

You just need to place an order with either BT Retail, or one of the other providers. They will sort it out. I assume you are still in a contract with Sky, so you would have to pay cancellation charges, or keep the copper Sky line as well.

There is a special team that deal with these FTTP orders.

0 Ratings
maxwell
Message 8 of 11

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Christ am i really that unlucky that out of a whole area of a town im the only one not on fibre.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

try phoning BT FTTP team and see if they can help  08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
maxwell
Message 10 of 11

Thanks, guys, looks like I am stuck as I am contracted to sky. 

0 Ratings