cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firepower_1980
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Losing Fibre Optic Broadband When It Rains

We upgraded to BT infinity (FTTC) in September 2016 and with dry weather have a solid connection with download speed pretty much around 50 meg and can stream netfilx, now tv etc. with no problems at all, however once the heavens open and there is some rain it all goes pear shaped and the connection goes, comes back, goes again etc until the rain stops

The master socket inside the house has a new faceplate and no extra phone extensions are plumbed in so I am 99.9999% convinced the problem is the external BT wire to the property, I have attached a pic below which shows the cable going into our property, there is a small hole in the plastic cladding under the bargeboard where the cable enters the roof space of our bungalow and I noted that our cable is not the 'modern' black insulated type - could this be a problem ?

If I wanted to arrange for an engineer to call round how do I convince the BT person on the phone that the problem is not inside but outside the property and is weather related ?

Also does anybody know if I will be charged for the engineer to visit ?

BT_2a.jpg

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Losing Fibre Optic Broadband When It Rains

If the problem is still there when you are connected to the test socket, then its going to be an external issue. probably water getting into the box at the top of the pole, however looking at the end of the dropwire, it does look bare just before it enters the house, so that would be the most likely cause.

This would not be a chargeable visit.

0 Ratings
firepower_1980
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Losing Fibre Optic Broadband When It Rains

Thanks for your quick reply I will try our router in the test socket next rainfall to check 100% - At some stage the bargeboard and cladding on our bunglaow has been replaced with uPVC (but not by us) so can BT try and shift the blame and say it's not their fault and it could have happened when the work was carried out by another trade ?

0 Ratings