cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Lost 30% (15Mbps) of download speed during cold weather, never got it back. Any thoughts

To give a little background, I had BT infinity installed around 10 months ago and began with the option 1 (40gb monthly download limit and speeds up to 40/10Mbps down/up). Because my property is a considerable distance away from the cabinet/DSLAM (too much copper) I was only getting around 20/5Mbps. Seeing as 40gb a month isn't very much and I could use better than 20mbps download speed, I decided to upgrade to option 2 with no monthly download limits and speeds of up to 80/20Mbps down/up. I knew I would not see the full 80mbps but I was getting 45/12mbps down/up which I was more than happy with.

Then comes the recent cold weather, and with the snow I began getting connection issues (modem losing sync, occasionally dropping) and considerably low speeds (1-5mbps download but fluctuating). I didn't raise a fault as I figured hopefully it should pass with the weather, which to a certain extent it has. However, now that the connection is stable again and the bad weather has passed, the max speed I get is 30mbps down, about 10mbps up.

I contacted BT and asked where 15mbps of my connection speed had gone, only to be told that "nope 30mbps is the max speed for your area, and you can't expect anything better". Try as I might, they wouldn't believe I'd been getting 45mbps for the whole year leading up to december 2012. I said so why should I stick with the more expensive 80/20mbps package when I'm not even getting half of the speed, to which their response was basically "tough". Apparently I would get the same 30mbps speed if I downgraded to a 40/10 connection, but it would mean starting a brand new 18month contract. Given that they can kill 30% of your broadband speed with no explanation other than "tough luck", I'm not sure I want to commit to another 18months of service.

Any thoughts on this? I'm pretty sure that if you start a contract with somebody, then reduce the service provided halfway through, thats breaching the original contract, isn't it?

Any help, input, thoughts etc on this is much appreciated.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lost 30% (15Mbps) of download speed during cold weather, never got it back. Any thoughts

If whatever went wrong with the connection in the cold has now righted itself, then DLM will gradually increase your speed again when it is sure it can provide you a stable service at the higher speed.  If will be worth disconnecting/reconnecting the router (NOT the modem) during the next couple of weeks as sometimes you get sync speed increases (DLM controlled sync speed from cabinet-<modem) that aren't noticed in your IP/BRAS profile; the disconnect/reconnect will fix that.  Best done at the web interface to the router, you can power it off/on or reset it if you prefer.

If you are unlucky, the cold will have done permament damage to the connection; but not enough that you will be able to persuade BT Retail to get BT Openreach out to fix it.

The service only assures a download of 12Mbps (this is not very well advertised when you order the service).  The fact that you happened to get more at the start of the contract does not mean that your contract speed is increased.  That said, if you contact the mods they may be able to help.  at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 .  But be aware they take 3 working days to reply: sometimes more if busy. 

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Re: Lost 30% (15Mbps) of download speed during cold weather, never got it back. Any thoughts

This has happened to me, you will go blue in the face telling them you can get XXMbps, they will only go by what their estimates for the area is, I just hope DLM is kind enough to put me back to my 80/20 IP Profile.

Good luck.

What's slow about FTTC........DLM 😞
0 Ratings
thatbloke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

same here. i've been on a 65Mb profile almost constantly since the summer, mine dropped to 50Mb around the 24th.

0 Ratings
liverpoolphil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

same here reported that id lost 10mbps of speed was getting 48 now get 38 to the mods they arranged for an engineer visit waited in all afternoon he didnt show emailed the mods back 2 days ago still heard nothing BT are a law unto themselves really bad customer service not happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

Like it or not temperature does affect the reisitance in copper and will make a difference to your speeds.

Openreach aren't the only provider to suffer from this, Virgin Media also suffer the same.

Nothing can be done about it. The speeds will rise again as the temperature does. If it doesn't then that is the time to complain.

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

@pippincp wrote:

Openreach aren't the only provider to suffer from this, Virgin Media also suffer the same.

LOL, 10 year+ with cableinet/midland cable/telewest/blueyonder/virgin media, now here, and never in my years with VM had the weather effect my connection, the only reason I came to BT Option 2 was the great ping (gone) latency (here again) and a reasonable speed without any restriction (apart for p2p), now slow downs due to the weather.....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

In the years you were with VM your modulation would have changed between hot and cold weather, if your modulation was set in the first instance to be within the range to take this into consideration then you would not have seen any difference (the amount of users that did is high).

I do not say that your or the OP's problem is down to temperature, I just state this has to be taken in consideration.

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@pippincp wrote:

In the years you were with VM your modulation would have changed between hot and cold weather, if your modulation was set in the first instance to be within the range to take this into consideration then you would not have seen any difference (the amount of users that did is high).

I do not say that your or the OP's problem is down to temperature, I just state this has to be taken in consideration.

0 Ratings
thatbloke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

the resistivity of copper actually decreases as it gets cooler, unless my science memory is broken (my physics GSCE was a very long time ago) . My BE adsl2+ would always slightly increase in speed during the winter months, and that was a lot more copper than the 400M between me and the infinity cabinet.

0 Ratings