Did you mean: 
saltyrodney
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Low Download Speed

For about 2 weeks now my Download Speed has been awful

20Mbps is a dream for me at the moment, been hovering around 18Mbps usually

Today I was dropping down as low as 11Mbps

I'm on Fibre 1 which should mean 35Mbps average, dslreports states max 49Mbps download, 32Mbps min Download

Not too happy to say the least

Really want to be back to my usual 45Mbps, cant download anything quickly as is

On a slightly related note, had a couple of instances in this time as well where i was playing online with my brother (who lives 10 miles away and gets twice my standard speed) and we both started getting very high ping to the game, the second time it happened to 4 of us, all from varying parts of the UK and on BT at the same time, while another team member from mainland Europe was fine

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Low Download Speed

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

run btspeedtester and post results  must be done with Ethernet connection

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the speedy reply

I dont use a homehub due to the well talked about latency/streaming issues while gaming, i have a 3rd party with qos settings to help alleviate this so cant post stats

Quiet line test is fine

Cant do btspeedtest for above reason

Like i said in op, line test says i should get 49Mbps max download, 32Mbps min download

Just did another couple of tests and got 10Mbps and 13Mbps

My ping also shot up to 250 in Valorant 3 or 4 times in the night for no reason, albeit dropping again quickly

Should probably say ive been using Ookla for speed testing

0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Still only getting 20Mbps, been going on for ages now, no help here i guess?

Really feels like im being restricted as it gets worse in the evening

Is the network actually so bad that it cant handle all these people working from home

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Read the instruction manual for your third party router and it should show you where to go to get the connection stats. There will probabley be more info than a BT hub.

Also no reason you can't do the speedtest using the link posted.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Can you post the dslchecker results using link I posted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

I dont see the point in posting dslchecker results when i've told u the results, are you actually reading my post or just going through a script, ill be told to change my wifi channel next

There are no issues with my line, i'm not just gonna come straight on here and complain before checking myself, please dont post the usual stuff about fixing it because it wont work

There is a bigger issue as there has been with BT for a over a year now regarding the latency/streaming issues (there are hundreds of threads about it), i have always had an atrocious speed compared to the towns 10 miles from me (I live in the Chilterns) and im convinced that the network simply cant handle so many people at home in this area due to coronavirus

I cannot game properly on this connection, havent been able to for over a month, im getting less then half the speed im supposed to get, its a joke

I use a TP-Link Archer C50 and cant for the life of me find out how to get line stats on it

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

up to you  I have read your posts and If I didn't think dslchecker results would help then I would not ask for them  In addition to showing what connection speed range you should be getting it also shows your exchange and cab which should it be congestion will be needed for mods to check

still if you have done everything then phone 151 and report a fault but if congestion then engineer visit will not solve your problem 

0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Fair enough, sorry i can be a salty sod sometimes (hence my name), apologies if i seemed rude in anyway

dslchecker.png

There you go (hopefully i got rid of anything sensitive!)

And thanks for taking the time to help

0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Back up to about 40Mbps as of today, didnt do anything extra on my end

Thanks to any mod that may have looked into it, or the internet gods for blessing me, whatever happened it all seems good now

0 Ratings