Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vocalizer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Low fibre broadband speed

Go to solution

Hi there, 

I have a problem with my broadband, although I have moved to fast fibre my speed is only 6.2 MB which is really slow.   If I reset the hub, the speed will rise to 8.3mb but then drops again over a period of a few days. This is reflected in the noise margin rising to 10.5. I know my speed is poor due to aluminium cables on the estate.

I have two questions :- 

Will Openreach ever change the cables in order to supply a decent broaband speed.

Can the noise margin be fixed at 6.5 in order to give us the maximum speed on the poor cables.

Hope someone can help !!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Low fibre broadband speed

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Please could you post the information from your home hub.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

Openreach do not normally change cables unless they are faulty, and you cannot make any phone calls.

0 Ratings
vocalizer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Tech Log 2.PNGTech log.PNGBroadband.PNG

Hi there,  here is the information you requested. There is no noise when when I perform the test you suggested.

Hope you can help solve this problem.

Kind regards.

Adrian

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

connection time only 18hrs was that manual reset or hub dropping conenction?

have you tried connecting to test socket with a filter to see if that helps speed and stability  should try this even if using filtered master socket

your speed is within your estimated range so unless there is a line fault BT are unlikely to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

There was very little benefit moving to fibre broadband FTTC ( VDSL) as your ADSL2+ speed would be almost the same, as you are too far away from the cabinet.

VDSL on a long line is likely to be more unstable than ADSL2+, so you may see more disconnections.

As it is,  DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has reduced your speed to make the line more stable, which is why the downstream noise  margin is much higher than it should be.

All you can do is to leave it all alone, with no restarts or disconnections, and if you are really lucky, you connection speed may increase after a few weeks.

Personally, I do think that customer services should promote FTTC, unless you are going to get a much faster connection.

0 Ratings
vocalizer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi Keith, thanks for your help. Is there any way that the DLM can be turned off and the noie margin fixed ?

0 Ratings
vocalizer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Noise Margin !!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

DLM is automatic.

How does DLM (Dynamic Line Management) work (Plusnet page)

Also lookup noise margin and DLM here https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Technical-Glossary/td-p/1434070

In theory, you may eventually get about 9.8Mbs connection speed, but that depend on how many errors DLM detects on the line, which can be quite a lot at that distance from the cabinet.