cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Low speed on Fibre 1

I have recently upgraded to Fibre 1. This morning I received the email from BT saying "It's time, you can now get going with Fibre", so I restarted my Smart Hub and reset my PC.

However, the BT Wholesale Speedtest gives me a figure of 31.8 Mbps download and 8.91 Mbps upload. This is not a vast difference from my old broadband which usually gave 20 Mbps.

My question is - will the speed gradually increase, since this is a new fibre setup?

I have attached a cropped screenshot of the Speedtest results.2020-04-30.png

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Low speed on Fibre 1

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

post hub stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

As you can see from your stats, you are syncing at the maximum speed for fibre 1,  55Mbs. Was the speed test done with a wired or wifi connection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I am using a 72 Mbps wireless adaptor which I was assured by BT would be quite adequate.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 8

Your speed test result is about right for the adapter you are using. It will not give you your full speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks, I should have realised that the wifi adaptor was the weakest link! I fired up my work laptop and the speed test clocked up 41 Mbps - and that was two rooms away! I feel very sheepish now...

What should I be looking for in a new adaptor, for best performance? Or would any 5 GHz one be fine?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 8

A Mini USB 150Mbps Wireless Adapter would be suitable for you. They are quite cheap on a certain online auction site.

0 Ratings