cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennyMillar
Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Low speeds, Long pings - how can I get BT to take this seriously?

I have BT Unlimited Infinity 1

At the time I ordered it my speeds were estimated to be 49 Mbps

I am lucky, on a good day, to get 8 Mbps.

My ping times to anything are normally ~400ms

I've tried reporting it to BT but they won't do anything.

I pay for a premium service:

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 14.14.33.png

But I'm not getting a premium service.

I have replaced the Home Hub with a brand new one that BT sent me. 

I am using a wired connection directly to the hub when I test the speeds, with everything else switched off.

What can I do to get BT to find the fault?

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Low speeds, Long pings - how can I get BT to take this seriously?

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
KennyMillar
Contributor
Message 3 of 25

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Here are the results :-

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 14.28.44.png

and 

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 14.31.39.png

and 

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 14.33.07.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

You would appear to be connecting through an Openreach modem.

The Homehub 5 has a modem built in and does not need to be connected to the Openreach modem.

In order to get your line stats you wil need to connect the Homehub 5 without the Openreach modem.

If you can connect the HH5 to the test socket on the master socket this will rule out any problems with your internal wiring.

Once you have done that re-post the stats that were requested.

Test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
KennyMillar
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Yes I have a HH5 and a HH6 - both of which can connect without the modem, (but only the HH5 also has a WAN port).

Without the Modem the HH6 and HH5 connect (takes about 5 minutes each time) but drops the carrier frequenctly - maybe 20 times a day.

With the modem the HH5 connects and keeps the carrier all day, often for a week or more at a time without drop outs.

NO combination of hubs/modems ever gives me any more than 9 Mbps. The hubs without modem give me an unreliable connection.

My conclusion is that I get a better connection WITH the modem than without.

Anyway, I've done what you asked and removed the modem, and connected the HH6 directly to the wall socket.

(As an aside, I don't have any "internal" wiring - only the socket with the Phone plugged in, there are no extensions or extension wiring. )

Anyway, here are the results with the HH6 connected directly to the test socket.

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 15.22.06.png

and 

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 15.24.06.png

**EDIT** Since putting the HH6 directly into the test socket, browsing (and posting this reply) has become significantly slower. Web pages take a long (think dial-up) time to load, despite the reported 7 Mbps download speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

Can you post the hub stats.

0 Ratings
KennyMillar
Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Here is the infomration from the technical log page on the HH6.

(BTW the quiet-line test seemed OK, but I don't have a baseline to compare it with. There was some whitenoise, but that could be ny handset?)

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 15.38.20.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 15.38.31.png

BTW these posts are painfully slow now, with the HH6 / no modem!, Funny how a very similar download speed give such a difference in the UX between hubs.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

I noted from your previous posts that your line travels some distance and that you were told that your line was old and that you were not connected to a cabinet.

As can be seen by your estimate, you are connected to Cabinet 2 and not directly to the exchange as suggested by the engineer. Do you know how far you are from that Cabinet?

Your max data rate is 15Mbps and your data rate is showing as 10Mbps which is within your estimated speeds, however your noise margin is sitting at 12.7 which is above the normal of 6. This tends to indicate a possible problem with your line. 

Your problem will be getting BT/Openreach to do anything about it because you are with in your estimated speeds of 7.8Mbps and 12.5Mbps.

Do you have any noise on the line when you try the quiet line test? If there is any noise you should report it as a telephone fault and once that is fixed it should improve your broadband speed.

EDIT: Obviously reconnect your set up back to what gives you the best connection/speeds.

0 Ratings
KennyMillar
Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Thank you for all your help. I do appreciate it.

I am about 600 Meters from the cabinet as far as I can figure out. (If that is, in fact, Cabinet 2 - I've no way of knowing where cabinet 2 is).

The quiet line test didn't really show up any appreciable noise.

I am sure my line is old, stretched and tired. I'm pretty certain if I could convince BT to replace it that I would get much better figures. However I can't convince BT to do anything about it.

Thanks again for your help.
I feel pretty helpless about the whole thing. Paying £70/month for such a slow service is painful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

The cabinet should have another cabinet nearby and it will have a number painted on it.

There should be NO noise on the quiet line test other than possibly a low humming if you are using a cordless phone.

See graph for speed over distance on a perfect line. If you are 600m from the cabinet you should be getting much better speeds if the line is in a good condition. It may be that you have aluminium in your line and this degrades badly over the years and that has a bad affect on broadband speeds.

As I have said, because you are within the estimated speeds you will have an uphill battle trying to get BT/Openreach to do anything but it might be worth giving them a call.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

0 Ratings