Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 42

Re: Lower than guaranteed speed issues

Go to solution

Do you have any other phone sockets?

If they are nor connected correctly, then they will reduce your speed.

See this diagram.

extensions.jpg

Rebooting the home hub is unlikely to make much difference, but you could try a single restart if you wish, to see if the connection spped increases.

You need to eliminate anything within your own internal phone wiring that could be causing a loss of bandwidth, before you request any visits from Openreach.

0 Ratings
SRT
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 42

Go to solution
Checked wired phone gives no noise and I still have less than guaranteed speed. The estimated speeds are 49 -55.
The highest Ive had was 47mb back in 2014.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 42

Go to solution

@SRT wrote:
Checked wired phone gives no noise and I still have less than guaranteed speed. The estimated speeds are 49 -55.
The highest Ive had was 47mb back in 2014.

What about the wiring, as shown on my last post?

0 Ratings
SRT
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 42

Go to solution
Cable from outside straight to master socket. Nothings changed for some years tbh. No extensions either. Had major issues in past with someone in local area causing static bursts but settled after bt investigator pinpointed culprit.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 42

Go to solution

There is something else you can try, as those Openreach sockets can develop faults due to the large number of extra components inside.

If you have a spare microfilter, then remove the bottom section of the master socket, and plug the microfilter into the socket behind.

Then plug the home hub and phone into the microfilter.

See if either the connection speed, or the maximum speed increases.

You should not find any wires connected to the back of that bottom section, when you remove it, as that would be where extensions are normally connected.

Does your line come into the house via an underground cable, or is it fed from a pole?

0 Ratings
SRT
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 42

Go to solution

Had to have power of earlier due to some electrician work but all done now and hooked up router as advised with brand new filter but connection is down at present to 39.68. Line fed from pole.

I guess it will need to settle for the time being.

0 Ratings
SRT
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 42

Go to solution

Just an update that bt are sending an engineer as they (India) see the speed is down and ive been asked to cancell my complaint as they bt are now sorting it.

I still have the temporary filter in place and am leaving it at that until engineer visit.

They have also text me to say they asked me to monitor speeds etc.Smiley Indifferent

Still showing 39.68 after two days.

0 Ratings
SRT
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 42

Go to solution

Just to update that bt chap called today and sorted issue. Something to do with resetting at their end.

I now have 51.30 Mbps so hopefully this will remain stable. He did say there might be a possibility the router could be flakey but will watch this space. thanks again.Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
SRT
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 42

Go to solution

HELP, 

Its crashed again three times since bt chap called. He did say it needed watching and its now down to 43.82Smiley Sadm

The bt chap said to get in touch if it goes wonky again as it may be the router which is the latest "smart" one. 

Can someone (Keith) please see if they can look into this?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 42

Go to solution

@SRT

I am just a customer, so there is not really anything else I can suggest.

Have you checked again to see if there is any noise on the line, as it may be an intermittent fault?

Either way, you are unlikely to notice the slight drop in speed, so I would just forget about it. It could simply be an increase in crosstalk as more users get connected to the cabinet.

What connection speed is showing on the home hub now?

0 Ratings