cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Lower than normal speed following wet joint (noisy line) repairs over two weeks ago

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice. Fairly long post but want to give as much background as possible.

On Wednesday 10th June my broadband started dropping every 10 to 15 mins and was taking several minutes to reconnect. A fault was raised by BT but the line tested clear at the time, however over the next 24hrs the landline became very noisy too (hissing and crackling) and opening a line knocked the broadband off. Eventually we got an openreach engineer to attend on 19th June. During this period the sync speed of my broadband was lowered and lowered and lowered by the system to try to stabilise the line. and got as low as 25Mbps.

My original sync speed was reported on the hub (Smart Hub 2) as 79.999Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream.

Before the openreach engineer left I asked him to have the IP Profile reset to get my sync speed back, which he graciously did. However advised that the process he used resulted in the system defaulting to its initial install learning cycle and it reconnected at 53Mbps downstream, now it has since then been left well alone and it has remained stable with the exceptions of the times the system has disconnected it and increased the banding.

Today it is sitting at 72.393Mbps UP and 19.999Mbps DOWN and the learning cycle should now be complete (as we are over two weeks). Now I realise this is still pretty good, but I know it can go higher as it has done for the last few years I have had it.

Is there anything else I can do to get this back to normal?  All current stats from the router are below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091301+1837003172

Firmware version:v0.17.01.12312-BT

Firmware updated:Tue Jun 23 08:33:01 2020

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:
6 days,08 Hours50 Mins02 Secs

Data rate:
19.999 Mbps / 72.393 Mbps
Maximum data rate:21.924 Mbps / 73.429 Mbps

Noise margin:7.4 / 3.2
Line attenuation:9.7 / 15.0
Signal attenuation:9.7 / 17.0

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:14.0 GB Uploaded / 261.2 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:WIFI
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel6)

5 GHz wireless network name:WIFI
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:4C:xx:xx:C7:01:B7
  (MAC edited for security)

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lower than normal speed following wet joint (noisy line) repairs over two weeks ago

from looking at the stats your connection speed of 72mb is virtually at attainable 73mb and with noise margin down to 3.2db it appears that G.INP is active and has increased your speed already so don't there is anymore to get at present

enter phone number and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Lower than normal speed following wet joint (noisy line) repairs over two weeks ago

2020-07-06 11_42_18-BT Broadband.jpg

Hi Thanks, for the reply. Info requested attached. Any idea why it would not return to the full previous speed that it was able to attain reliably since the day it was installed up until this happened? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

from dslchecker your connection is well within the expected range for your line so BT will do nothing to help

it could simply be more people on your cab since you were connected causing some crosstalk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for your time.

To be honest though there has to be someway to get this back to normal, for BT to say its in normal range isn't really acceptable when its history clearly demonstrates its capable of more. And consistently did so prior to a fault on their network clamping it down.
0 Ratings