cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenhill68
Expert
Message 1 of 62

MK3 master socket wiring help

Hi. My broadband has dropped today and it seems I have a line fault. I have an MK3 dual master socket. Am I right in saying both the predominantly orange with white cables both go to 5 and the predominantly white with orange cables go to 2 with nothing else connected? Thanks
0 Ratings
61 REPLIES 61
glenhill68
Expert
Message 2 of 62

Re: MK3 master socket wiring help

I assume those wires are just for the extensions. I assume the bottom plate connected connects to the broad socket at the top
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 62

Your question is totally meaningless. Colour of wires is totally irrelevant, the electrons don't care,we need to know where the cables go to/come from and what colours are connected at the other end. The incoming line terminates on the A&B connectors at the rear of the socket. Pins 2&5 on the removable faceplate are filtered connections to phone extensions.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 4 of 62

Obviously I am not as versed as you are in BT wiring. What other end and what wires?
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 5 of 62

HH5 constantly flashing orange.

Hi. I rebooted my router this morning as I do every few weeks. On reboot it now doesn't connect and just flashes orange. I contacted live chat and they think there is a line fault that rebooting the router detected.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 62

Re: HH5 constantly flashing orange.

there is no need to restart your router it could also be a router fault
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 7 of 62

I have a spare hub and tried that but that does the same.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 62

The other end of the cable you are talking about, which go to extension sockets.

Obviously the colour of the wires need to be the same at the master socket as the extension socket. Presumably you have disconnected some wires in order to localise the fault you have posted on your other thread. All you need to do to prove the fault external to your house is remove the faceplate and connect your router to the test socket, that will eliminate your internal wiring. If you have disconnected some wires, check what colours are connected at the extension sockets and connect the same colours at the master pins 2&5.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 62

then it is a network fault which Openreach will need to resolve have you checked the service status board for any known problems
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 10 of 62

I did earlier. Chap in India has raised a fault and says I need an engineer to my house apparently.
0 Ratings