cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenhill68
Expert
Message 31 of 62

Re: MK3 master socket wiring help

No, two sockets. The first lot of photos is of the MK3 socket in the living room that BT fitted. This has the router connected and a test socket behind the faceplate. One of the orange wires in this socket sometimes pops out when I take the faceplate and then I force the wire down again. The last two photos are of the socket in the dining room the cable from outside connects to. This has no test socket.
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 32 of 62

A bit confused on what you're saying and I need to check.
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 33 of 62

I should add that the dining room socket only has a connection for the phone and not for data like the MK3 does.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 62

Ok, this is how I see it has been wired. The incoming feed in the dining room (ex master) has been connected to the blue pair of the cable that goes to the normal NTE5 socket (not the MK3) and that is the master socket. The orange pair then feeds back the phone in the dining room. The other cable in the master socket then feeds the MK3 socket which is connected as a slave socket. I then don't understand where the second cable in the MK3 socket goes to and where its blue pair is terminated. The other confuisng thing is that there are only 3 crimps at the rear of the old master socket. The incoming wires should have been orange and white, it looks as though they have been extended by some blue and yellow jumper wire but only the yellow seems to be connected, I can't see where the solid blue wire is crimped to the incoming feed orange wire.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 35 of 62

Thanks for your help. Which one is the master socket? The one in the dining room has no test socket behind the face plate. The blue pair on the MK3 seem to be connected to the top of the socket from what I can tell. I don't fully understand your last sentence. Will anymore pics help?
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 36 of 62

Both sockets were worked on by a BT engineer and he fitted the MK3 too.
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 37 of 62

I do have two other extensions upstairs.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 62

Ok, maybe the blue pair from the dining room go to the Mk3 socket first then, I couldn't see the blue pair in those photos only in the other socket.  In which case the blue pair in the slave socket are probably superfluous. Still don't undestand why there are 2 cables in both of the sockets, is there another socket somewhere else?  Can you get a clearer picture of the dining room wires. The incoming cable should have 4 wires White, Orange, Green and Black. The Green and black will be spare. Rather than connect the orange and white wires directly to the blue pair of the incoming cable it looks as though the engineer first connected a couple of piieces of scrap jumper wire to lengthen the wires. However there only appears to be 3 crimps, there should be 4 the one that seems to be missing is one connecting the incoming orange wire to the solid blue piece of scrap wire.

Which socket do you get dial tone on?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 62

OK I was still thinking and typing whilst you mentioned the other sockets!

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 40 of 62

I can ring out from all four sockets. There are four crimps which you will hopefully see from the pics. Will the orange wires that sometimes pops out on the MK3 socket when taking off the faceplate cause an issue. How is best to reconnect it?20170903_161336-747x1328.jpg20170903_161350-747x1328.jpg20170903_161419-747x1328.jpg20170903_161404-747x1328.jpg

0 Ratings