cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

MOD Help Needed: Changing NGA Profile to Speed

Hi all,

I've been having problems with high ping spikes over the past year and I'd like to get my NGA profile changed from standard to speed. 

This is the an example of the ping jumps I have encountered in the past;
https://puu.sh/G2fdM/d0525c68fe.png

The connection varies, with mornings being more stable and then the connection jumping constantly. We've had a line test and there was negligible noise on the line. Everything is wired, nothing is wireless. I've contacted BT in the past and we've had resets, master socket replaced but we still have these ping issues. I'm hoping someone on the forums knows of a way to fix these?

I'm thinking it has something to do with interleaving?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: MOD Help Needed: Changing NGA Profile to Speed

Hi @ReeceHands  welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry that you are experiencing ping spikes.

Interleaving can only be changed on ADSL broadband connections. 
Are you using the BT Hub?
Can you run and post a ping plotter when you are gaming only with no other devices connected?

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Hi John,

That ping plotter was when I was the only person using a device in the house. 

This has been happening on and off for quite some time, I am on a BT Hub

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

As you are on fibre connection the latency is controlled automatically by the DLM   there is no manual intervention as you can with adsl

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Hi Jolly,

Is there anything that could be done about the dlm?

I keep having these horrible spikes of 100ms or more. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

As I said the DLM is automatic and no manual intervention unlike adsl

probably look at your setup and see if you can improve connection from hub to devices 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

We've changed the cabling, master socket has been replaced - I'm not sure what else to do

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

This is a ping test ran 04/07 - 00:12

https://puu.sh/G3nl3/4a40810902.png

It's not really an acceptable level of ping jumps. Could someone advise if there is a problem with my line?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Hi @ReeceHands,

Thank you for posting back. To get an idea of how your connection is performing please can you post your router stats? Please can you run a Ping Plotter as well, this will help to give us an indication of where the latency is occurring?

In your first post, you said there is "negligible noise on the line. Any noise on the line no matter how small has the potential to affect the broadband connection.

Can you try the quiet line test? You can do this by dialing 17070. You will reach BT's line test facility. Choose option 2. The line should be silent.

Thanks

PaddyB 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Hi Paddy, 

Sorry, I should have been more clear. There was no noise on the line when last tested, however I'm getting these spikes at random. I've just come back from being away for two days and this is my current stats as of 20:20 
https://puu.sh/G4ie6/854db7180c.png

Router stats - https://puu.sh/G4ifd/fd88e44452.png
I'm having no problems with upload or download speed I have been having ping issues since the start of this year. 

0 Ratings