cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_E
Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: Manually set DNS servers in BT Homehub 2.0 with BT Infinity

I was using a HH3, but after finding that I couldn't change the primary & secondary DNS settings, I ditched it for a standard cable router. I tried a D-Link router but that came with a lot of other problems, so I returned it for a TP-Link router and that is working great with OpenDNS. It even has a USB socket like the HH3, so I can use a memory stick for file sharing around the network. Brill.:smileyvery-happy:

Delboy357
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 18

@Brian_E wrote:

I was using a HH3, but after finding that I couldn't change the primary & secondary DNS settings, I ditched it for a standard cable router. I tried a D-Link router but that came with a lot of other problems, so I returned it for a TP-Link router and that is working great with OpenDNS. It even has a USB socket like the HH3, so I can use a memory stick for file sharing around the network. Brill.:smileyvery-happy:

Could you tell me which TP-Link Router you have?

0 Ratings
Brian_E
Contributor
Message 13 of 18

@Delboy357 wrote:

@Brian_E wrote:

Could you tell me which TP-Link Router you have?

Sure, it's a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router and you can get it here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR1043ND-Ultimate-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B002YETVTQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UT...

Delboy357
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 18

Thanks Brian
0 Ratings
Delboy357
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Hi Brian

I have ordered a the router but i'm not sure if I need a seperate modem?

Cheers Del

0 Ratings
Brian_E
Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Yes you will. However, if you have ordered BT Infinity, the BT engineer will provide and fit the modem for you. Make sure he mounts it on the wall as the particular model they use has a tendency to overheat and stop working if shelf-mounted (as mine was). Regarding setting up the router, I wouldn't recommend using the supplied CD but rather, going to the Web admin page (simply type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar in your browser) and using the quick setup from there (make sure you have the option to automatically detect your Internet connection type selected, which it should be by default). Enter the user name and password given to you by BT and you should be fine. Once connected, you may wish to tweak some of the default settings (such as deciding whether you want your Internet connection permanently on, connected on demand or on accoring to a schedule) and change your log-in password. You will need to do all the initial setting up with a wired connection, but afterwards, you can use the wireless function (don't forget to set up security on your wireless network to prevent unauthorised access). Good luck.

0 Ratings
DanielWombwell
Contributor
Message 17 of 18

you know you can take out your homhub completely and replace it with airport exspress works so much better wiht out it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQM_bdah6uI

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

this post is over 2 years old
0 Ratings