cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 44

Massive difference between Ethernet and Wifi

Hey All

We have FTTP at 900mbps which has been in for a week. 

On an old PC connected by ethernet we are getting 1.2Gbps where as a new laptop with WiFi6 we are getting 15Mbps in the evening its right next to the HH2 (During the day we can get 200-300 on the Laptop) - there is no other significant loading on the network either. Called BT and they did say our speed to the modem was slightly lower than expected. A BT engineer is coming tomorrow but is there any possible issues that I should check on the HH2. 

Any ideas. 

newtothiscompany_0-1613594025538.png

newtothiscompany_1-1613594046265.png

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44

Re: Massive difference between Ethernet and Wifi

Just to add have been checking with FAST.com as BT suggested and also have to BT Wifi Discs all with excellent connection. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 44

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 44

Yeah I had to as our sonos wouldn’t work with Smart Setup

We also had two HH2 sent so different serial numbers that wouldn’t be the issue would it if they expect another HH2

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 44

If I have read your post correctly you are saying you get 200 - 300 Mbps via wireless on your laptop during the day but only 15Mbps via wireless on your laptop in the evening. If that is correct it would appear that there is some sort of inference affecting your wireless connection in the evening.

Is there any electrical device that is switched on in the evening that coincides with the drop in speed? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 44

I wouldn't expect the serial number to make any difference.

Just for clarity, how many routers are connected to your network? multiple routers can cause a problem if not correctly set-up.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 44

Hey thanks for message. I have checked and there’s nothing that I can see affecting this in the evening. I tried this tonight and no others were in and the only thing on was the TV which was on during the day. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 44

So I have just plugged in a Netgear Nighthawk router to the HH2 and get 210Mbps when connecting to BT HH2 immediately after I get 11Mbps

625BF2B2-ACA2-429D-AF68-2E26EF0E8616.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 44

Why are you connecting the Netgear to the HH2?  If you want to use the Netgear, connect it to the ONT instead of the HH2

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 44

When you replaced the BT Hub with the "new" BT Hub did you also change the power plug?