cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 44

Re: Massive difference between Ethernet and Wifi

Only thing I can think of now is a factory reset. I know it sounds daft on a new router but it wouldn't be the first time it's done the trick. 

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 44

If it is only happening in the evenings it really has to be something that is causing interference/rein and not a setting on the hub. If it were a setting it would happen all the time and not just in the evening.

It might be that you will have to carry out a process of elimination by turning off electrical equipment when the problem occurs until you have found the source, that is assuming the source is in your house. It could be inference from a neighbouring property or outside such as street lighting.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 44

A factory reset takes less than 5 minutes, turning bits and pieces off in turn takes how long?

As unlikely as it may be, I still think it worth a try

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 44

So just unplugged the red WAN cable and replugged it tested on Wi-Fi and got 400Mbps then tested again shortly after and dropped to 10Mbps same position same device 

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 44

So to update Openreach came this morning firstly stated that the way the cable was spliced was not done correctly and so they redid this. He also mentioned the fact we have two Wi-Fi discs and HH2 could likely be issue. 

Switched off both discs and then once he left speed was up to 500-600 on Wi-Fi, it has gone down to 100-200 now but will wait to see if it falls dramatically tonight. 

I am not sure as to why we get a consistent 1Gbps Ethernet but a massive variation on Wi-Fi, clearly Wi-Fi is more prone to loading and external factors however the household is fairly quiet with no others really using much. We have a Sonos system and Samsung Smart TV connected with light web browsing by a couple of people

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 44

So testing speed on laptop again. 

To summarise, laptop is new with Wifi6 card (Not that HH2 can manage this)

We have 1 Disc and am testing about 3m from the HH2. 

No other real load on the network connected with 5Ghz.

Ethernet speed consistently 1.1Gbps

Wifi comes out as between 50Mbps to 80Mbps.

There are no other devices using Wifi really apart from a Smart TV (Not on load) and Sonos again not on load. 

If I connect Nighthawk to the HH2 (To just test Wifi speed) getting 400+

I am at a loss as to what to do apart from invest in a decent Wifi 6 router and just use HH2 as a modem but seems strange to have to do this. Are there any logs that would show potential issues on the HH2?

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 44

Why do you keep connecting the Netgear to the hub and talk about using the hub as a modem? The ONT is the modem, the hub isn't required.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 44

Other posts on here state the ONT (Being a small box the size of a BT box) does not have a modem. 

I have tried to connect the Netgear to the ONT and it didn't do anything. Besides we have the advance digital phones so if we dont use HH2 Wifi we would still need to use the HH2 for the phones. 

I am just showing that the devices connected to Wifi are capable of 300-400Mbps at least.

Speaking to BT tonight they advised as I knew we have 1000 coming into the house and they will only guarantee 10Mbps using Wifi which begs the question why bother with 900Mbs

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 44

The ONT IS the modem.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 44

Ok thanks for clarifying that.

As said its not a permanent solution just a test. 

0 Ratings