Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FoggyB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 61 of 108

Re: Massive drop in download speed at peak times

Go to solution

Hi Tom,

I've been getting speeds of around 3mbps tonight, dropping as low as 2. To be honest, that's better than I was getting last week (when it was down to 0.5mbps), though it's still nowhere near good enough. The issue has not been fixed, or at least properly fixed, as far as i'm concerned.

As Barney said, if you need any information from me to help you in your dealings with the Executive Complaints team i'm more than happy to help. BT are a complete and shameless shambles.

Thanks,

FoggyB

0 Ratings
BarneyG
Contributor
Message 62 of 108

Go to solution

Yep, I'll echo what @FoggyB said - last night was no different to before. Here's a screenshot of a typical speedtest result from 20:35;

20151026-2035.PNG

That someone, somewhere is insisting that the problem is fixed implies either significant ineptitude or staggering misconduct. Eitherway, it's not good.

Best regards,

Barney.

0 Ratings
thomasmirf
Contributor
Message 63 of 108

Go to solution
Well, having fought for 20 mins with the call centre yesterday insisting I needed to do more speed tests, the manager who I eventually got through to should have rejected the clear (on my line at least). Next step apparently is yet another engineer visit.
I've also had contact from the Exec Complaints team. If you're happy to I'll gladly add you guys as evidence the fault is not fixed. I guess if you PM me your names and BT account numbers that'll be enough to highlight the issue. @FoggyB if you could post the same diagnostic screenshot as Barney then I'll email them that too.
Cheers
Tom
0 Ratings
Sage
Message 64 of 108

Go to solution

@PaddyB wrote:

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update the network team have got back to me. They are aware of an issue at the Kingsmead exchange. They have told me that they expect the issue to be resolved by the 30th of October.

Thanks

PaddyB

This is the only resolve info I would trust in this thread no matter what others may have said or been told.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
thomasmirf
Contributor
Message 65 of 108

Go to solution

@pippincp That's very helpful but it begs the question why the telephone support staff are so poorly informed or why the wholesale support staff are giving the wrong information to them.

Would @PaddyB mind giving us an update then and also passing back to the Wholesale team or whoever is dealing with the problem at the exchange the information that customers are being told the probelm was fixed on 24th leading to more engineer call outs and more support calls when clear communication on whether the problem had actually been solved or not, what the issue was and when it would be resolved might stop that.

Many thanks,

Tom

Sage
Message 66 of 108

Go to solution

I understand the frustration conflicting information causes but the problem here (to me) seems to be the (understandable) lack of patience of customers who continue to contact support when the fix date has already been announced here.

I'm sure @PaddyB will update on 30th if neccessary.

Meantime the mods have other customers problems to deal with.

As to what the issue was the best you can hope for is that it was a hot VP. AKA lack of the equipment to supply required capacity.

Be thankful you are not a VM customer, many of whom have to wait 3 months to a year (or more) for capacity upgrades.

0 Ratings
thomasmirf
Contributor
Message 67 of 108

Go to solution

I did not contact support. The only time I've heard the date of 30th is on here.

The support at Bt told be it would be a week from the 14th i.e. 21st.

They contacted me last week on the 22nd and told me it was fixed. Then called back later to say actually wholesale needed another 48 hours. Then on the morning of 24th they called me and told me it was fixed and to do a speed test to confirm.

I did that on Sunday and they called me. When my speed was slow they suggested they challenge the clear. When they did that yesterday they were again told the problem had been cleared.

If I'd been told by anyone supporting my specific case that it would take until the 30th then I'd wait.

@BarneyG also received a call from the twitter support team saying the problem was cleared by wholesale on 24th.

My comments relate to the fact that they are calling to tell us it has been fixed when it hasn't. @PaddyB should know that other arms of his company are giving out information which appears to be incorrect and causing a whole load of frustration.

FoggyB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 108

Go to solution

@pippincp, I’m not sure your comments here are helpful, either from the point of view of working to resolve this issue, or in terms of helping people’s moods. I’m slightly confused by your presence in this topic, are you a BT employee?

It is not unreasonable to expect BT to provide consistent, accurate and at least somewhat up to date information on a fault, and customers being contacted to be informed a fault has been fixed, when it clearly hasn’t, is not good enough. The fact that VM may or may not be even worse (which is scary if true) is irrelevant; it is up to BT to provide an acceptable level of service, regardless of competitor’s deficiencies. Of all the arms of BT support, the moderators here seem good and trustworthy, but a short update from @PaddyB would be welcome and wouldn’t be excessive.

@thomasmirf, I will send you a screenshot of my test results later, and I have kept screenshot records of my results from most evenings of the last month if they are useful?

Sage
Message 69 of 108

Go to solution

@FoggyB To put one thing to bed straight away, I am not nor ever have been a BT employee.

Like you I am nothing more than a customer of an ISP.

The problem to me seems to be customer expectation and what the ISP sees as that expectation and therein lies the rub, and needs to change.

ISP's have gotten away far too long with offering "Upto" speeds when the customer expects "Guaranteed" minimum speed and they hide behind that.

IMHO the way BB is sold by any ISP needs to change. Customers are now looking at internet access as an essential service, providers aren't however day by day it is is needed more to do even the simplest of things.

BT support are reknowned for lack of contact, misleading information etc, etc and yes, that needs to change. They have said support will return to the UK but haven't said when or if it will be any better, at least the language barrier should be removed.

As you have said, the mods on here are good and trustworthy so rely on them. I'm sure @PaddyB will update this thread if neccessary on the 30th, there is no need for him to do anything before then.

0 Ratings
FoggyB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 70 of 108

Go to solution

@pippincp, the issues you set out about broadband and how it is provided in this country are all very true and, as an unaffected observer of this particular issue, the problem for you may be a disconnect between the expectations of different groups. As far as I’m concerned, however, the problem is that my broadband (and that of a number of other people in Bath) hasn’t been working properly for an extended period, and I’m unsure as to whether anything is currently happening to fix it.

You may not feel that @PaddyB should update us, but I, for one, would be very grateful to know if the supposed fix carried out by BT Wholesale on the 24th (or 22nd, it’s unclear) is the same one that PaddyB said was promised by the 30th, and whether BT Wholesale are still working on the problem? If they are, then it's fine and I don't mind waiting a couple of days. If not, then there is no point waiting idly for a fix that will never come. It is the fact that much conflicting information has been provided by BT since PaddyB mentioned the 30th that would make an update comforting.

Either way, I guess we’ll see in the next 2 days if the issue has been resolved by the date promised (or if that fix will be as effective as all the previous ones).